• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: DMPL, PL, or Semi-PL Peace Dollars

7 posts in this topic

here is my 22-d, unique obverse toning, which you can tell under the light that the obverse is semi-pl and the reverse is white with some unattractive water pots which show in one of the pics. The reverse is more reflective, Pl than obverse, but my pictures are pretty bad, you can still tell it is different than most peace dollars

126467.jpg.fc71f6bea75308f0a23271297672e602.jpg

126468.jpg.8b871f2d3df23c389c2ad244d026be9d.jpg

126469.jpg.bb234873813fec2527715ff479d482b5.jpg

Its too bad about the water marks. And with the nice toning you cant do a thing about it. Is that a massive die crack across UNITED ? Here is something I never understood about PL coins and die cracks. Ive seen it in Morgans as well. If PL is a result of an early strike, and die cracks results from heavy use, how they can co-exist on the same coin?

Its too bad about the water marks. And with the nice toning you cant do a thing about it. Is that a massive die crack across UNITED ? Here is something I never understood about PL coins and die cracks. Ive seen it in Morgans as well. If PL is a result of an early strike, and die cracks results from heavy use, how they can co-exist on the same coin?

PL is by no means an indicator of an early strike, quite the contrary especially for 20th century S-mint PLs. Morgan dies were repaired and rebasined, which sometimes led to the PL strikes. PL's are just the first few strikes from this repaired die.

Also, even brand new dies can exhibit die cracks. The die could crack as part of the annealing or manufacturing process, and if it is not caught (or judged to be mild enough), the die may still be used.

PL is by no means an indicator of an early strike, quite the contrary especially for 20th century S-mint PLs. Morgan dies were repaired and rebasined, which sometimes led to the PL strikes. PL's are just the first few strikes from this repaired die.

Also, even brand new dies can exhibit die cracks. The die could crack as part of the annealing or manufacturing process, and if it is not caught (or judged to be mild enough), the die may still be used.

I know the polishing can lead to later state PLs but the early state PLs in the morgan series appear with hardly any hairlines. True mirrors, whereas the heavy harilining of the die polish creates a different look.