• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 million fake coins seized

8 posts in this topic

"Detective Inspector Bruce South said: "This seizure is a significant blow to the network behind it - individuals clearly intent on undermining the UK monetary system by producing counterfeit currency on an industrial scale."

I think the Bank Of England is doing this well enough on their own without any help.

"Detective Inspector Bruce South said: "This seizure is a significant blow to the network behind it - individuals clearly intent on undermining the UK monetary system by producing counterfeit currency on an industrial scale."

I think the Bank Of England is doing this well enough on their own without any help.

:signfunny:

How good do these look Dooly?

some are very good .. but most have the wrong obverse for the date on the coin .. dont know on the new ones not seen them yet

How good do these look Dooly?

some are very good .. but most have the wrong obverse for the date on the coin .. dont know on the new ones not seen them yet

Well, the counterfeiters would want to leave some type of "tell" ... I mean, after all, THEY wouldn't want to accept one in change! :whistle:

I wonder. Have the counterfeiting laws changed? Back in the 1700's counterfeiting silver and gold were serious offenses, but the counterfeiting of base metal was not. And the definition of a counterfeit back then was a non-regal issue that was an exact replica of a real coin. That was why the evasion pieces came about. They resembled the regal coinage but the legends would be slightly different allowing them to "evade" the charge of counterfeiting. Well todays base metal pounds have a mismatching of obv and reverse, or the edge inscription is wrong, or the designs are right but the wrong date. Are they trying to create evasion pieces again?