• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin with a knight

21 posts in this topic

I am trying to narrow the scope of the foreign coins I collect and I've decided to focus initially on coins with a knight on them. For purposes of classification a knight will be considered anyone wearing medival type armor, or weilding a sword, lance, mace or similar weapon. The knight may or may not be on horse back.

vijunas_50_lt_av.jpg

This one is right in my wheelhouse.

Here is one of my favorite designs, on the 1946 Luxembourg coins of 20, 50, and 100 Franc denomination.

I don't want to shamelessly plug my horses themed set, but you will find lots of knight coins in my set at this link.

125961.jpg

This is not a coin. It is a political token from the 1884 presidential campaign. That year the Elephant Party ran James G. Blaine for president. Blain was a very popular candidate among Elephant Part members, but he had a checkered past. Like many politicians of his era he took money from the railroad companies and was known the ready to do their bidding.

This hurt his chances to win the election at a time when Elephant Party candidates had won every presidential election since 1860. One political cartoon pictured Blain wearing a Speedo type skivvy, which was very daring for the time, with tattoos (marks of his past political deeds) all over his body. His supporters were busily trying to find a way to rub off the tattoos or perhaps cover them with whitewash.

Robert Ingersoll was one of the greatest orators of his day. Had he not been an agnostic, he would have probably been a leading presidential candidate. In a speech on Blain’s behalf Ingersoll described him as “a plumed knight” who was honorable and virtuous. Blain’s supporters issued this token which depicts the candidate in those glowing terms.

Blain went on to lose the presidential election to Donkey Party candidate, Grover Cleveland.

JGB188416O.jpg

JGB188416R.jpg

BELGIUM | FLANDERS | Louis II de Male 1346-84 Cavalier d'or

BEL-Cavalier-1346.jpg

NETHERLANDS | GELDERLAND Charles van Egmond 1492-1538 Florin

NETH-Florin-1492-Gelderland.jpg

ITALIAN STATES | CARMAGNOLA (MARCHESATO) 1504-1528 Cornuto

ITSA-1C-1504-Carmagnola.jpg

Here is one of my favorite designs, on the 1946 Luxembourg coins of 20, 50, and 100 Franc denomination.

I don't want to shamelessly plug my horses themed set, but you will find lots of knight coins in my set at this link.

Wow...great coin and you are right there are a lot of nice knights in your collection. I may just have to use your collection as a guide to start me on this collection!

@ BillJones, thats some nice history about that token. Very cool!

@Brol, your knight looks very familiar...I like it!

@gpnyc, Now those are some serious coins. Good to know I'll have something on the upper end of the scale if I choose to continue this collection that far. Can't go wrong with gold!

@Kenneth F, thats a challenge coin right? I have head and seen them in passing but have yet to own one. Do you collect them by any particular category?

@Lehigh96, thats a nice Condor token! And it technically does fit my rules doesn't it?

@Kenneth F, thats a challenge coin right? I have head and seen them in passing but have yet to own one. Do you collect them by any particular category?

I only collect what I was given..

I only collect what I was given..

Here are some...

Challengecoins.jpg

Hard to say if this is a knight or a soldier. But it shows a head wearing a helmet with a cross (you can also see the nose bridge guard) and also wearing chain mail.

Coin is from the time of the Crusades and minted in Antioch in the Holy Land.

Bohemund III. silver denier. c. 1163-1201. Antioch

1.05g 18mm

BohemundIII-1.jpg

the new design for the 2012 gold sovereign is awesome. Mine hasn't arrived yet so here is a stock photo.....

126229.jpg.1ad8956afa7f9cfaee970807de5e56cb.jpg

Conder token halfpenny, Middlesex 342

Remainingslabs000273cutout-1.jpg

Hmmm....that knight looks familiar! :) Great piece Yarm! (thumbs u