• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1859 IHC, would NCS help with a regrade?

5 posts in this topic

The below IHC was graded by PCGS. As you can see, there is a "mole" on the neck, and a spot on the reverse. What I hope to gain from this post, is an idea of what you guys would grade it MINUS the spot. This way I can tell whether or not having the spot removed by NCS would be use towards a higher grade. The original owner "says" the spot was on there when he submitted it.

Let's hear what you think! I appreciate the help!

1859cent-2-300x600.jpg

1. Can you post larger images?

2. If the "moles" are carbon spots, removal is likely not possible.

3. The moles shouldn't cost it more than 1 point.

4. Without the moles, it would have a shot at PR64.

What is the PCGS grade now? If it is MS-63, I'd say that the coin is "maxed out" and won't go any higher. The trouble is the piece appears to have been dipped. The color is too bright and does not look natural to me. I know the brightness probably looks go to you, but usually Mint State examples of these copper-nickel cents are naturally a bit more mellow.

As for the spots removing them could make it worse if it leaves pits behind. You risk a "no grade" of that occurs.

Here are the two copper-nickel cents from my collection. Perhaps you can see what I mean about “the look.” NGC graded both of these coins MS-64.

1859, No Shield reverse

1859CentO.jpg1859CentR.jpg

1862, With Shield reverse

1860CentO.jpg1860CentR.jpg