• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some advice on a 1907 D gold coin...

18 posts in this topic

Recently, I fell in love with a CAC approved 64 + graded 1907 D $5 gold coin. Now here is the issue. The coin is listed for well over $1800. How much of a premium does the '+' sign along with the 'green' CAC certification add to a classic gold coin? Also, are 'D' mint coins worth that much more than the Philadelphia mint, etc.? I guess what I am really asking is this; Is over $1800 too much to pay for this coin?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

The last 64+ sold last August for $1325. It want cacd. A 64 CAC sold in April for $1150.

Based on this, I'd say $1500 would be the rough value for the coin in question. I wouldn't be a buyer at $1800 as more of this example will come up for sale to pay a premium. I can see going to $1550, but $1800 seems very high.

The + sign and the CAC sticker mean the same thing, that the coin you are interested in is solid for its grade. The base Fair Market Value according to NGC's price list is $1280 and at MS-65 this rises to $3280. That's a $2000 increase over one full point and that makes the value of this coin tricky. Normally I wouldn't pay a large premium for CAC and plus, but in this case it may be worth it, that's entirely up to you. As for the Denver question, I don't think that Denver minted half eagles are that much more expensive except that for collector value the only years these were minted is 1906 and 1907. What you are getting though is a rare grade. NGC's population report lists 1378 coins in MS-62, 817 in MS-63, 526 in MS-64 with 8 pluses, and 102 coins in MS-65 which explains in part the rise in price from 64 to 65. For me I am not all that taken with CAC and plus grades because they tend to muddy up the water. In the end what people have paid a premium for is eye appeal and in your case based on that, your coin may well be worth it.

Gary

AnkurJ makes some very interesting points. Heritage auctioned an MS-65 version of this coin in December of 2011 for $2242. In light of this it if I were spending that much money, I would definitely consider going the full point higher.

Gary

Recently, I fell in love with a CAC approved 64 + graded 1907 D $5 gold coin. Now here is the issue. The coin is listed for well over $1800. How much of a premium does the '+' sign along with the 'green' CAC certification add to a classic gold coin? Also, are 'D' mint coins worth that much more than the Philadelphia mint, etc.? I guess what I am really asking is this; Is over $1800 too much to pay for this coin?

My thoughts are to pass and to keep looking. There is no reason to pay any kind of premium for one of the most common of all $5 gold coins. Rather, find a properly graded MS-64 that has no stickers and no plus signs, but is PQ for the grade, and pay only the basic price.

This isn't a rare coin and it does not sound as though it has some quality that cannot be found elsewhere. Therefore, in cases such as this one, I would suggest you be patient and find a coin that meets your criteria and is priced at a more reasonable level.

It's not a rare coin, I wouldn't attach a large premium to a plus designated coin when you can find similar premium quality pieces in older undesignated holders for no premium, and generic gold is pretty much dead for the moment. As such, I am thoroughly convinced that you can do much better.

The 1907-D five dollar gold is a common coin, but it is a popular coin because it often becomes the piece that collectors put into their "all mints" seven piece half eagle sets. (Note the Liberty $5 gold is the only piece that was minted at all seven of the U.S. mints, eight if you want to add West Point. Those mints are Carson City, Charlotte, Dahlonega, Denver, New Orleans, Philadelphia and San Francisco.) Still it is not a coin that you need to stretch to purchase; there is no need to over pay.

I paid a bit under Gray Sheet bid (just over $2,200) for this one graded MS-65. It looks better in person than it does in this photo. My photos tend to make marks look bigger than they are. It is just a nice as the PCGS graded counterparts that I have seen and cost me about $500 less.

1907-D5O.jpg1907-D5R.jpg

Thank you so much for all the advice. I am glad I asked, as I was valuing this coin all wrong. I think I will take the advice and 'pass' as I would rather not buy; then buy the coin and always think I paid too much. Obviously this would become apparent if I ever decided to sell.

I was thinking about this for awhile today.

Thanks for saving me from myself!

Sincerely yours,

'mint'

If you ask me.. personally gold is waaaay to high right now to be buying common date coins. If you are going to buy a gold coin make it a rare date that is going to hold it's value when gold drops back down.

If you ask me.. personally gold is waaaay to high right now to be buying common date coins. If you are going to buy a gold coin make it a rare date that is going to hold it's value when gold drops back down.

Good advice at any time as long as it's of good quality

Case in point... I picked up an 1838 $5 gold piece last year. quarter once gold. I paid somewhere like $550 when a normal bullion piece was at $460 or so. Now when gold talks I will be much better off with my 1838 $5 than anybody with bullion.

Really nice 1907D $5 and congrats on getting a good deal on it. Thanks for sharing.

What a beautiful coin with nice luster.

You're not making my decision to walk away from this coin any easier! lol!

Respectfully,

'mint'