• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS68 by lehigh96

15 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1945-D Jefferson Nickel NGC MS68 from David Lawrence Rare Coins for $1,400 and 527 registry points.

The list price of the coin was $1,520 and my offer of $1,400 was accepted.

1945-D 5C MS68: NGC Census: (3/0). PCGS Population (0/0) (5/12).

Auction: 3267 Lot #1251

Seller: Teletrade

Auction Ended On: April 29th, 2012

Description:

This magnificent nickel has nearly perfect surfaces as would be expected from the assigned grade. Breathtaking luster and a gorgeous pastel patina of pale yellow, apricot, lilac, and chartreuse blanket both sides. The steps are not full and the strike is rather mediocre, but the other elements of grading are satisfied at the highest level possible.

Comments:

The alluring nature of this coin simply cant be conveyed by words or images. It is a coin whose splendor must witnessed first hand to be truly appreciated. The quality of the surfaces is evident from the images but only when compared directly to an MS67 does the reason for the assigned grade become readily apparent. One of only three coins to be graded with the lofty grade of MS68 by NGC for the date/mm and only the second MS68 to be added to this collection.

11358.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

Wow! I thought the first one was nice, then I thought the second one was the cat's meow, but this is just plain gorgeous! Great picture!!

What a beast of a nickel!!!! Lehigh, do you have pics of.what you think is the finest nickel ever graded?

Unfortunately, I have not seen or photographed every MS68 Jefferson Nickel in existence. Mark Bressler owns more of them than anybody else I think but he doesn't have any photos with his registry set. The Jefferson Nickel that I would most like to see in hand is a 1943/2-P Jefferson Nickel NGC MS68*

Of the coins in my collection, I think the coin with the best technical merit would be a toss up between the three coins listed below. The MS67+* 1944-D actually has the best strike.

JN1943-SNGCMS68.jpg

JN1944-DNGCMS67StarLabel2.jpg

JN1945-DNGCMS68.jpg

Of the coins not in my collection, I consider this coin the finest Jefferson Nickel ever graded.

1943-P Jefferson Nickel DDO "Doubled Eye Variety" PCGS MS67 FS

JeffersonNickel1943-PDDOPCGSMS67-2.jpg

I got outbid by $5K on that coin. The slab photos scared me! But given overall quality in combination with the rarity afforded by the variety, that coin is probably the king of the Jeffersons.

Lehigh I actually prefer the jeffs that you posted vs the PCGS one. Your 43s and 44D beat that pcgs coin by a long shot in terms of eye appeal and strike

Wonderful coin. Every coin you feature in your Journals are most impressive. Your Jefferson nickel collection must be one of the best in the world.