• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999-P Is this considered a mint error?

3 posts in this topic

I picked this up in an ebay lot that was labeled "old ugly damaged us coins" I do not think that this is a damaged coin, I am leaning toward a mint error of some kind. I do not own any mint error coin books so I can not look it up and was wondering if someone could give some insight as to if this is a mint error and if so how could something like this occur.

Attached is my first attempt at taking pictures of the coin.

Also would something like this be worth sending to NGC for encapsulation? Do they have any value?

Have a great day

Jim

126033.jpg.d4f8862925dc394158529994c1d6ee0c.jpg

126034.jpg.162a712d580539c66806dd7e62f66327.jpg

The coin does appear to be broadstruck; thus, it would qualify as an error coin. I do not think it is worth the price of encapsulation at NGC. The coin has a nominal value. Broadstruck Roosevelt Dimes can range in price from around $10 - $40 or so depending on the severity of the error. Your coin would presumably be on the higher end of the scale, but it appears to have wear (the price range provided is based on what I have seen uncirculated examples sell for). I would estimate your particular coin to probably be in the $15-$30 range. The encapsulation fee would consume a significant portion of the coin's value - I think you are better off trying to sell it raw (if you even want to sell it).

Thank You coinman, that is the word I was looking for BROADSTRUCK, once I had that word I did a search and found a web site that has a bunch of definitions about errors. This is definitely a broadstruck coin, and interesting in that the picture they use in the definition on this site is also a 1999-P dime. So I guess they are pretty common. I might just send it in for safe keeping I'm not really into error coins but I think it's cool enough to have one just like a type thing. I have an odd nickle that I will post a picture of when I get time I think it is what they call struck through grease. I got that one in a roll from the bank the other day. Again thanks for the information!

Have a great day

Jim

The web site I found with the info on errors is....

Link about error coins