• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little silver with that change sir? & 1991 MS 67 FT Roosevelt

6 posts in this topic

The holy grail of Roosevelt Dimes

Received the 1991 P MS 67 FT in the mail yesterday from Datentype - a great coin with above average luster and way above average strike for the date.

Year: 1991 P

Grade: MS 67 FT

Registry Points: 1,271

NGC Pop: 3/0 and only 3 total coins in FT status!

Purchase Price: Too much, but very tough in FT...

Extremely tough date in FT status, perhaps in the top five for FT rarity status. In my experience the toughest coins to find fully struck are 1969 P, 1971-1980 P, 1980 D, 1990 P&D and 1991 P&D and of this group I would rank the 1991 coins high on the list as they are usually poorly struck, very lackluster and horrendously marked. All of the coins in 1991 mint sets are just plain ugly, perhaps in another post I'll share pictures of a mint set half that I would grade MS-50 - yes that's not a typo I said 50... It's butt ugly, in fact it's so rough that if I didn't know it came from a mint set and the reeding on the edge is still intact, I'd swear it was a Vegas half.

I've been struggling to put something together for a journal, because it has been slow. Paying off some layaways and nothing interesting happening with my collecting. Well...yesterday the subject coin arrived and today I received a silver dime in change! Nothing to write home about, just a common,well worn 62-D, but it's silver!

As BeawChan has already said today - what a day to be a Numismatist!!!

Have a great weekend.

Todd

11353.JPG

See more journals by TD Henson

Todd you sure pick em right. I spent about an hour today going through the dimes at GreatCollections It takes the right eye to get the best. When I am bidding I am sure of what I want and don't go for less. There are a couple keepers in there now.

A 1991 in 67FT, and that sharp is a great addition. CONGRATS!!

Rick

Agreed. I love the mail lady when a box, bubble mailer or Priority package is inside the mail box. It's like perpetual Christmas!!

Rick -

Agreed. Might as well go for the best! I learned this the hard way, by filling slots with coins I didn't like and then having to resell them when I found better. It's no "wooden torch" but it will do.

Todd