• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with German Medal.

13 posts in this topic

Wait until Brandon sees this, I'm pretty sure he'll be able to help ID the medal.

It would definitely help if you could provide the diameter and weight.

Your photos are excellent by the way.

I know nothing about medals, but all I can say is WOW! Nice pictures of a very cool looking medal or coin or what ever it is. I've never been able to capture toning on a coin the way you did with these pictures. OUTSTANDING.....

Jim

A couple of things I forgot to mention:

- medal is high relief.

-diameter 40mm, about the same as a silver eagle.

-not sure of the weight but it feels a little heavier than a silver eagle.

I wish I could take credit for the pictures but they were provided by the gentleman I bought the medal from.

It appears to be a medal commerating the 50th wedding anniversary of the prince and princess of Isenburg-Büdingen (in southern Hesse, Germany). I'd be amazed it it wasn't real. What awes me is the beautiful toning :)

Here's the best I could do:

---------------------------------------------------

MEDAL TEXT:

* WOLFGANG FÜRST Z.CASTELL-RUDENHAUSEN - EMMA FÜRSTIN Z.CASTELL-RUDENHAUSEN GB.PRZS.Z.YSENBURG U.BÜDINGEN

Wolfgang, Prince of Castell-Rudenhausen

Emma, Princess of Castell-Rudenhausen, born Princess of Ysenburg and Büdingen

* 1859 - 17TE MAI - 1909 *

GOLDENE-HOCHZEIT

May 17th, 1859-1909

Golden Anniversary

EDGE:

*DURCH * GOTTES * GNADE

SILBER 990

By the grace of God

99.0% Silver

PICTURED ON THE MEDAL ARE:

Emma Ferdinande Emilie, Princess of Ysenburg and Büdingen

Born 23 February 1841 in Büdingen

Died 22 April 1926 in Rüdenhausen

Married on 17 May 1859 in Büdingen to

WOLFGANG August Christian Friedrich Carl Erwein,

Born in Rüdenhausen April 21, 1830,

Crowned Prince of Castell-Rüdenhausen by the King of Bavaria March 7, 1901, with the style "Serene Highness" by primogeniture

Died Rüdenhausen January 13, 1913;

A COUPLE LINKS THAT MAY BE HELPFUL:

3340. Wolfgang, 1906-1920. Medaille 1909, auf die Goldene Hochzeit seiner Schwester Emma. Büste und die ihres Gemahls Wolfgang von Castell-Rüdenhausen / 2 Wappen auf Wappenmantel. Randschrift. Zilch 12. 31.04 g.; 40 mm. Vorzüglich

http://www.bussopeus.de/AukDetail.asp?nid=144&lid=1&id2=5&TaskId=5&ik1=00048&ik2=Auktion_393_/_394&id1=680423

Castell. Wolfgang Fürst zu Castell- Rüden hausen: Bronzemedaille auf

die Goldene Hochzeit des Fürsten Wolfgang und der Fürstin Emma zu Castell- Rüdenhausen,

1909, von L. Chr. Lauer. — Dresden.

http://www26.us.archive.org/stream/anzeigerdesgerma1907to09germiala/anzeigerdesgerma1907to09germiala_djvu.txt

COMMENTS:

As best I can tell from the descriptions, this medal was commissioned by Emma's brother (Wolfgang) to commemorate her 50th wedding anniversary (to her husband, whose name was also Wolfgang). According to the information in the 2nd link, the medal was designed by L. Chr. Lauer -- This would be Ludwig Christoph Lauer. He was a rather prolific and famous medal designer, especially well known for his counting pieces and jetons -- but I believe he had died by 1909. Thus, maybe it simply came from his metal working shop, which was taken over by his three sons upon his death in 1873 (see this link for some more information). I wish I could find more information for you. :(

I hope this helps a little bit.

-Brandon

Guys, I just found out the results for my latest NGC World Coin submission and I'm very pleased with all of the results. The 1909 German "Isenburg-Budingen" medal was graded MS65! The 2 Sweden coins are both Top Pop! All but the medal have been added to my registry & custom sets.

Does anyone have an idea what the medal is now worth? I'm not looking to sell it but would like to put a value on it.

Phil

127905.jpg.f2abcf9e8cec9cec370000cdb9ee3d8e.jpg

127907.jpg.3d56a939c80f9f60f08520c03aa44b9b.jpg