• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1974 d Eisenhower Dollar

2 posts in this topic

I understand a few 1974 d Eisenhower dollars were struck on a 40% silver planchet by mistake. I'm trying to find out the weight of this coin. I have one that weighs 23.2 grams, is high luster and is very detailed. The features are very pronounced. Thank you.

• Administrator

The 40% silver Eisenhower dollar weighs 24.6 grams, while the copper-nickel clad coin weighs 22.7 grams. It's usually pretty easy to see if a coin is copper-nickel by looking at its edge -- you can see the telltale red-copper "stripe" of the pure copper layer, similar to a circulating quarter or dime. Usually, 40% silver coins will have a solid sliver edge.

Your coin is too light for 40% silver. Because your coin is a little heavy it may be plated. We do occasionally see silver-plated Eisenhower dollars that have been altered outside of the Mint.