• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSNA Coin Show Report

21 posts in this topic

Today was day one of the yearly Garden State Numismatic Association Coin show. The show has about 75 dealers with a good array of exonumia, US coins and paper money. There is minimal world coins at the show.

The hours for today were 1pm to 7pm. I arrived around 1:30 with no line to get in. The entire time the show floor was very quiet and one could walk down an isle with arms outstretched and not come close to bumping in to someone! But it made it easy to look at coins. I had a box of twenty coins for sale, and many dealers loved what I had. I sold a total of five coins which included two gold CAC coins, a pair of proof barber halves, a toned bust half, and a toned buffalo nickel.

There were a few copper dealers set up so you could find pretty much any copper coin you wanted. I saw a total of 6 chain cents (none problem free), and a few wreath cents as well. Bust Halves were scarce with very few original or nicely toned examples around. Commems were all over the place. The highlight in my opinion was a 1797 Half in a VF20 CAC holder at Numismatic Americana's table. What an amazing coin to see at a club show! If you are free the next few days, I would check out the show. There are some nice coins there, but as always, you have to pay to get nice coins. Those which had problems or were simply priced too high were sitting in dealers cases. Some coins I recall seeing last year and were still there!

In regards to bullion, there were very few people selling silver other than one dealer for $30 per ounce. One dealer had a large amount of BU Morgan rolls for sale which made a heck of a display!

I purchased three coins at the show (pics to follow). One was an amazing NGC (yes NGC! GASP!) PF67 CAC Walker Half. This piece is so clean with BLAZING luster and very deep mirrors. I dont know why it didnt get a cameo designation. I also purchased a PF64Cam CAC Barber Half since I sold my other two proof Barbers. Lastly is a 1923 Standing Liberty Quarter in PCGS MS65 with gorgoeus color. This one was dropped off to CAC so it will be a while before I have pics of it. I paid up for the SLQ but it had the look I wanted and recieved the blessing of fellow forum member TomB. It was the perfect coin I wanted for my type set.

Here is a pic of the Barber Half with photos by Bluevette.

afiohc.jpg67qk2p.jpg

1942 Walker Half NGC PF67 CAC. Pics by me.

15cm1li.jpg

And the SLQ. Pics taken by my dealer friend who is taking it to CAC for me. Has nicer color in hand.

28i6nt2.jpg

Ankur

Just spoke to a dealer friend who was set up. With how slow retail sales have been at this show, it sadly may not be around much longer.

You say an NGC walker like it's some big shock or sin. NGC is a perfectly competent grader, despite whatever kool-aid may be drunk. That looks like a fantastic, accurately graded, extremely nice Walker. Your pictures make it look like its a borderline cameo obverse, including the sun which is such a difficult area.

The reason I said that is because people think I'm against buying NGC coins. Ie it was sarcasm.

Ah, sorry. Sarcasm is incredibly hard to convey across the interwebs, unless it is quite obvious.

Just spoke to a dealer friend who was set up. With how slow retail sales have been at this show, it sadly may not be around much longer.

I was there this afternoon for a couple hours and floor traffic was almost non existent. Not a bad thing as a buyer since your able to rapidly browse entire rows of dealers cases without a single interruption. If there was any buying action it must have been yesterday as today was a different story. It's a real shame as this is one of the nicer east coast shows.

I've been going to the GSNA for about 10 years (always on Saturday).

Floor traffic is heaviest on Saturday, yet the floor always feels uncrowded (to say the least); people who have gone on Thursday and Friday also generally report light floor traffic those days.

Yet, dealers tell me, year-after-year, that they've had a good shows and, certainly, dealers keep coming back.

I guess the collectors who come to this show come to buy.

And the SLQ. Pics taken by my dealer friend who is taking it to CAC for me. Has nicer color in hand.

28i6nt2.jpg

I saw your new 23 SLQ at last years Philly Whitman show. (thumbs u

As I recall it's quite delicately toned and exceedingly more attractive in hand then the image posted.

IMHO this would really POP if Tru-View'd by PCGS.

Great WLH there Ankur (thumbs u

I was at the show Friday afternoon and traffic was also light. As Ankur said, there were excellent coins there for a local show. Gold was everywhere. There was also a fair amount of exonumia.

I was on the hunt for classic commems. There were a ton of blast white ones but only a couple of dealers with nicely toned examples. By far the nicest was a gorgeously toned, CAC stickered Isabella in MS67, also from Numismatic Americana. Bill had quite a few ultra high-end comems.

I ended up purchasing only one coin, however - 1934 PCGS/CAC Texas MS 65 from a Delaware dealer. The reverse on this coin is fabulous. When the dealer kept staring at it and checking and re-checking his book I thought he was going to come back with a 66 price; but he was right on the money.

Since I don't have a pic for the Texas yet, I'll share with you an MS 66 Roanoke from the Guttag collection I recently picked up from Mr. Feld:

commemRoanokePCGS66.jpg

I agree that there are good array of dealers at the show. But for US coins, most of them are at the Parsippany show.

I think if an major auction company backed this show, it has the potential to be stellar. But as long as its running, I will attend.

Close to cameo on that Walker. Nice!

Agree completely about NGC it's just that many times these coins get broken out and sent to PCGS so you never actually see the coin in the NGC holder. NGC generally just don't bring the money PCGS does....unfortunately.

jom

Close to cameo on that Walker. Nice!

Agree completely about NGC it's just that many times these coins get broken out and sent to PCGS so you never actually see the coin in the NGC holder. NGC generally just don't bring the money PCGS does....unfortunately.

jom

To me that is just another reason to purchase NGC coins :whistle:

Great report, Ankur, Thanks!

Nice coins. Do the grading services designate cameo to proof Walkers? If so, what is the pop?

Thank You.

Nice coins. Do the grading services designate cameo to proof Walkers? If so, what is the pop?

Thank You.

Yes, they grade them CAM. However, they are exceedingly rare. For example, NGC has grade a total of 9 for the series