• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets try another old copper

14 posts in this topic

MS-63, Brown. It has a few too many minor injuries to grade any higher IMO.

This one is graded MS-62, Brown.

1853HalfCentO-1.jpg1853HalfCentR-1.jpg

And this one is an MS-64, R&B

1855halfcentO.jpg1855halfcentR.jpg

Bill, Half Cents, being smaller than Large Cents, generally should be graded lower, if they have the same number/size marks.

Bill, Half Cents, being smaller than Large Cents, generally should be graded lower, if they have the same number/size marks.

I'm confused, Mark. You graded the coin MS-64, Brn; I graded it MS-63, Brn. How does that square with your comment?

I'm confused, Mark. You graded the coin MS-64, Brn; I graded it MS-63, Brn. How does that square with your comment?

Because the coin in the OP is a Large Cent, not a Half Cent, which you used for comparison purposes. And marks which might cause a Half Cent to grade 63, might be allowable on a (larger) Large Cent at the MS64 level.

Because the coin in the OP is a Large Cent, not a Half Cent, which you used for comparison purposes. And marks which might cause a Half Cent to grade 63, might be allowable on a (larger) Large Cent at the MS64 level.

:sorry:

I looked at it and thought half cent. I stil would call it an MS-63. Brown. If that coin were to be offered to me as an MS-64 at 64 money I'd pass because of the rim nick.

:sorry:

I looked at it and thought half cent. I stil would call it an MS-63. Brown. If that coin were to be offered to me as an MS-64 at 64 money I'd pass because of the rim nick.

The rim nicks bother me too, and I thought about saying MS63 instead of MS64 for that reason. But I still opted for MS64.

Thanks for all the replys, I bought it for 63 money and thats what I would call this coin, but a 64 if submitted would be nice :)

I don't like it that high, but that's my opinion. I find the rim marks far too distracting. Perhaps it will 63, but it wouldn't stun me lower.