• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 Walker

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and recently got into collecting. My current favorites are Walkers and the new ATB 5oz Silver coins. This was the first Walker I purchased and I felt I got a decent price. Wanted to get some feedback as to what this coin should have graded and what I needed to look at to determine if the grade of the coin matches the holder. I love the reverse on this one but there's some weird marks on the field to the right of Liberty. Does that significantly harm this one? Any advice welcomed!

125900.jpg.1dce3890c58f42df1f9fc634c608ca70.jpg

125901.jpg.747c2fc0f86582854592f63e6c2a8b20.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I can't tell much from those pictures. My guess is that the coin grades somewhere between AU58 and MS63, if that is not damage in the right obverse field. As is, I can't get a good look at the area.

Looking at it really close there appears to be some small scratches where the tarnish focused around. Nothing too deep just surface scratches 2 right next to each other and a hairline one near the bottom of the tarnish. Should marks of those kind concern me or are they not significant. The holder is MS-62 and I'm trying to see how that grade is derived. I liked this one because I have a clear left thumb and I usually don't see that one even higher graded coins. Does the tarnish spots impact the grade? Basically, I'm trying to learn how this one compares to some others I have seen that to my untrained eye don't look much different. What makes this one lower than others.?

Looking at it really close there appears to be some small scratches where the tarnish focused around. Nothing too deep just surface scratches 2 right next to each other and a hairline one near the bottom of the tarnish. Should marks of those kind concern me or are they not significant. The holder is MS-62 and I'm trying to see how that grade is derived. I liked this one because I have a clear left thumb and I usually don't see that one even higher graded coins. Does the tarnish spots impact the grade? Basically, I'm trying to learn how this one compares to some others I have seen that to my untrained eye don't look much different. What makes this one lower than others.?

The marks appear to be significant, but it is difficult to tell from the images provided.

The toning should not negatively impact the grade.

That date is typically well struck, so the clear thumb that you mentioned is not as big of a plus as it would be on a more poorly produced date.

Is that coin in a ANACS holder? It may be my monitor,but when i enlarge the photo the obverse looks to have had corrosion,and was cleaned.

Is that coin in a ANACS holder? It may be my monitor,but when i enlarge the photo the obverse looks to have had corrosion,and was cleaned.

That is an NGC holder.

I'll take a stab at it and call it MS63 although the pictures could easily be hiding hairlines/contact marks or wear that could easily make me lower my guess. If you had larger pictures, we could be a bit more precise in grading the coin.

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. Good pictures take time, just experiment.

3. I think the issues are all in the pictures and the coin graded at least MS 64.

4. Walkers (at least in my area) are going cheap. Given that they are such pretty coins gobble a few up in as high a grade as you possibly can afford. Understand however, common dates are always going to be common.

I can not tell much about grade from the picture. I would, based on the image quality, grade this coin as AU58.