• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos to PCGS for correcting their error, with a trueview!

27 posts in this topic

I sent this coin to PCGS to correct an attribution error they made. This coin was in an older slab attributed incorrectly as a lettered edge, when it was really a vine and bars edge. Since there is a difference in value, PCGS agreed to reimburse me the what the difference should have been in the grade.

While it was there, I had the coin trueviewed. The coin is a nice deep chocolate in hand.

Thanks to Mr. Hall for taking care of this for me! (thumbs u

PCGS VF30 CAC

wreathcent.jpg

Ankur

While I know this coin is rare that large scratch on the back would bother me like hell. Btw how did it make it in with all that green on the surface?

While I know this coin is rare that large scratch on the back would bother me like hell. Btw how did it make it in with all that green on the surface?

Mine is graded two grades higher and has a similar scratch. It is distracting and I know what you mean. Its just nearly impossible to find these without them.

The obverse is especially nice and I really like this piece. Congrat's Ankur. MJ

There is some flexibility with key dates, and the scratch is not as noticeable in hand.

The green is verdigris or dirt the coin picked up along the way. Many early coppers have it.

I hope to upgrade this to an AU someday, but for now I'm pleased.

And Jerseycat, giving a company a thumbs up for doing the right thing isn't koolaid drinking.

Just about anything goes with early copper, unfortunately. This one is quite a bit above average, however.

I have found both services to be very fair in compensating for downgrades and spotted coins.

The guarantee wasn't invoked because of a downgrade or spotting, but because of an incorrect attribution. If my memory serves me correctly, NGC does not guarantee attributions.

Im gonna try to get over to my SDB thursday and post a picture of my details graded 1793 1/2 cent. Got the details grade for a scratch which in my opinion was no worse than the one on the OP's coin and I have seen far worse in regular holders.

And Jerseycat, giving a company a thumbs up for doing the right thing isn't koolaid drinking.

It sure is when you have previously denounced NGC, and are now promoting the competition on NGC's dime.

It sure is when you have previously denounced NGC, and are now promoting the competition on NGC's dime.

The immaturity of your posts speaks volumes to me. If you cant contribute something positive to a thread stating something positive, then dont say anything at all.

The immaturity of your posts speaks volumes to me. If you cant contribute something positive to a thread stating something positive, then dont say anything at all.

Immaturity? Pot, meet kettle. You're only posting here because you got banned across the street. Trying to get back into their good graces ATS? A post promoting PCGS has no place on the NGC forums.

I have found both services to be very fair in compensating for downgrades and spotted coins.
I wish that were my experience. I've been very disappointed.

Lance.

Ankur was upset about an NGC graded coin on a given day. I don't consider that denoucing NGC as a whole. Both NGC and PCGS do good work. In this case PCGS stood up for a coin they had holdered. Simple as that

Immaturity? Pot, meet kettle. You're only posting here because you got banned across the street. Trying to get back into their good graces ATS? A post promoting PCGS has no place on the NGC forums.

I find this interesting because I see many posts on both sides of the street promoting the other service.

Kool-aid comes in more than one flavor.

Lance.

Yes I was banned ATS for a very incorrect reason, and I have made it clear to my friends there that I have NO intention of returning. I have no problem with NGC or PCGS coins, but prefer to buy them with a CAC sticker. That is my personal preference and I dont care if anyone else likes it or not.

If my memory serves me correctly, NGC does not guarantee attributions.

That is correct.

A post promoting PCGS has no place on the NGC forums.

Interesting, that tends to be one of the biggest criticisms about the forum ATS. That posts promoting the competition get pulled and sometimes posters bammed for posting them while over here they aren't afraid of praise for the competition.

isn't that what they are supposed to do

and should have done in the first place???

lol so true.

Reminds me of the kid ATS that was commending PCGS for setting a record for longest time to do a presidential review.

None of the grading services are perfect because this in not a perfect world.

Enjoy your coins.

Enough said.

:)

lol so true.

Reminds me of the kid ATS that was commending PCGS for setting a record for longest time to do a presidential review.

That sounds good, if one is going for barbed humor, so I do understand that.

However, if one is trying to be open and honest, then the quote above is offbase.

What he was doing was acknowldging it took a LONG time, and that he was fine by that as he felt that things happens (get forgotten) and that, in the end, some of the delay was the way PCGS went about trying to handle the situation in a way to please the customer.

The final result was that the offer PCGS made did make the customer happy and, for the customer, was the right thing to do.

Not sure why people can't just state the full truth instead of just grabbing the bit or piece that they want in order to trash on others.......

lol so true.

However, if one is trying to be open and honest, then the quote above is offbase.

What he was doing was acknowldging it took a LONG time, and that he was fine by that as he felt that things happens (get forgotten) and that, in the end, some of the delay was the way PCGS went about trying to handle the situation in a way to please the customer.

The final result was that the offer PCGS made did make the customer happy and, for the customer, was the right thing to do.

Not sure why people can't just state the full truth instead of just grabbing the bit or piece that they want in order to trash on others.......

Please DH apologized on the Forum for taking so long. I'm no PCGS slappy but I appreciated him jumping in on the thread. It was handled so I don't see the issue for prodding. MJ

lol so true.

Please DH apologized on the Forum for taking so long. I'm no PCGS slappy but I appreciated him jumping in on the thread. It was handled so I don't see the issue for prodding. MJ

Additionally, I think there are other mitigating factors that aren't being revealed here and that were not originally revealed in the referenced thread across the street. PCGS did make an offer within the first month (?) or so, but the submitter turned it down and wanted a replacement. Apparently the coin was an esoteric modern variety with a tiny known population. I can understand, in light of these circumstances, why it would take a longer time.

Also, in reference to the earlier posts, I see nothing wrong with commending PCGS. I have no problem publicly praising a corporation for fulfilling its obligations just as much as I don't see a problem for criticizing a company when it is wrong.