• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A copper coin this time

13 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone there is no wrong answer as this is still raw. I purchased it as a 63, it might get gifted with a 64 grade but I think the strike is a touch soft for that level. What drew me to it is the excelent clashing and the overall look, she's a keeper and looks great in my 7070. :)

From the photo I'd grade the coin MS-64, Brown. It can't be an MS-65 because of the rim nick at 7k on the obverse IMO. There are also a few light marks on the throat and face of Ms Liberty that would make a marginal MS-65 if the rim nick were not there.

NGC only gave this 1835 half cent an MS-63, brown, which I thought was a point too low. It has a fewer marks than the piece at the top of this thread.

1835HalfCentOJPG-1.jpg1835HalfCentR-1.jpg

A couple of comments in reply to posts to this thread....

I don't think that the rim nick or strike would preclude a 65 grade.

However, while I know that the true color of cooper can be very difficult to capture in an image, I have at least some concern regarding the originality of this coin's color. It looks a bit too light to me.

A couple of comments in reply to posts to this thread....

I don't think that the rim nick or strike would preclude a 65 grade.

However, while I know that the true color of cooper can be very difficult to capture in an image, I have at least some concern regarding the originality of this coin's color. It looks a bit too light to me.

I dont know what type of lighting Jeremy used for the pics, but in hand the coin is a nice slightly dark brown.