• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1959 Wheat Back Penny

13 posts in this topic

I believe there has been a single 1959 piece that has caused quite a bit of consternation for many folks in the hobby-industry and in law enforcement. If I recall correctly, neither PCGS nor NGC will certify it as real, but the US Secret Service said they thought it was genuine.

Yes I read an article lately that stated the penny was sent to the U.S mint twice for authentication.Both times the mint responded that they believed the penny to be authentic, but the grading companies would not grade the coin.

Google Mark Hofmann 1959 Wheat who reportedly said he 'made' this cent utilizing a blank die exploded into a coin and then hammering in the 'made' die with a lesser explosion (ie; .10 gauge shot gun) creating the non-existent cent. Well, that's what he said while in jail, who knows for sure? The Mint has done some crazy stuff...especially coins spirited out in various ways...ie; coins dropped into fork lift crank cases to be retrieved during the oil change service...pure speculation of course, no one knows except the creator.

I believe there has been a single 1959 piece that has caused quite a bit of consternation for many folks in the hobby-industry and in law enforcement. If I recall correctly, neither PCGS nor NGC will certify it as real, but the US Secret Service said they thought it was genuine.

Perhaps the secret service can create their own TPG. Their logo can be a pair of dark glasses.

I just reread the article on pcgs website and there was no mention of the coin being slabbed.It last sold in 2010 in a Goldberg auction for $31050 with a disclaimer of not guaranteed to be authentic,sold as is,no returns!!!

I believe ANACS also certified it once back in the photocertificate days. I seem to recall having seen the certificate once. I also believe it was a 59 D cent, not a 59 Philadelphia.

Got confirmation. ANACS certified it back when they were still located in Washington DC. It was certified sometime between 1972 and 1976.

I believe ANACS also certified it once back in the photocertificate days. I seem to recall having seen the certificate once. I also believe it was a 59 D cent, not a 59 Philadelphia.

Got confirmation. ANACS certified it back when they were still located in Washington DC. It was certified sometime between 1972 and 1976.

AH, that's what I was trying to think of! I thought I 'd remembered it being "certified" by someone other than the government at one time.