• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Mother's Day: Post a Coin with a Lady on it...

11 posts in this topic

For Mother's Day: Post a coin with a lady on it...

...or post a lady with her coins.

Here's mine...

My grandmother was 92 years old when she decided to become a coin collector like her grandson. Although she had a few birth year coins from 1907 stashed away in a cigar box, she had previously never collected coins. It was obvious to me, when she asked for a State Quarter folder, that she wanted to develop a closer relationship with her grandson in her later years.

Upon hearing this request from a person of her advanced age, I explained to Grandma that she would be nearly 102 years old before she could complete such a monumental project.

"Well," Grandma replied, in a challenging stance, "Then I will just have to start a different collection after I complete this one."

Shown below is my dear Grandmother, proudly showing off her coins after completing the first page of her coin folder. She collected nearly all of the coins from her own pocket change. Grandma lived independently and maintained her driver license through age 97. After finding 49 of the fifty state quarters on her own, family members presented her with a Hawaii State Quarter to complete the album. She was nearly 102 years young as she proudly pushed that gifted quarter into the final hole of her frayed-at-the-edges State Quarter Folder.

And, of course, Grandma promptly began a new collection -- the Territories Quarters -- as she had defiantly pledged to do nearly a decade earlier.

It's only fitting that I post this story today -- on Mother's Day -- and I ask everyone reading this thread to either begin a new collection or encourage a loved one to enter this Hobby Of Kings and Queens.

Grandma taught me that we are never too old to begin collecting coins. We're as young as we think we are, and Grandma thought she was young well past her 100th Birthday. It's been 6 months since Grandma passed away at the age of 104. Her modest collection of State Quarters and Birth Year Coins has been passed on to her 11-year-old Great-Great-Great-Grandson (yes, that's three 'Greats') to continue our numismatic family tradition.

-The Coin Trader

GrandmaAndHerCoins.jpg

She looks like she was a wonderful woman. Any coin I would post would pale in comparison to the lovely lady which you've posted. God bless her and may she rest in peace. :)

Here is my little lady. She is mimicing dad looking at a coin with a magnifying glass! She has a few slabs of her own she loves playing with too! :)

2rgdqj6.jpg

She looks like she was a wonderful woman. Any coin I would post would pale in comparison to the lovely lady which you've posted. God bless her and may she rest in peace. :)

Amen to those sentiments. I was immensely touched by your loving description of your Grandmother. I can feel her warmth and love of family just looking at her picture.

Malcolm