• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gunsmoke Fan ? posted by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This slug - was it inspired by the long-running (20 years) TV show, Gunsmoke ?

Interesting medal. According to the fellow I got this from, a "Gunsmoke" fan had 500 of these minted to celebrate the slug that was used in the Gunsmoke "Treasure of John Walking Fox" Episode (Episode 406, Season 11, which aired on April 16, 1966). When an old buffalo hunter named Jacob Beamus is shot dead in self defense, his loyal Indian partner, John Walking Fox (Leonard Nimoy), starts paying for things with $50 gold pieces, and he becomes the talk of the town, and a target for would-be robbers.

This episode can still be found on the Internet (You Tube, I believe). The Fifty-Dollar gold pieces shown in this episode are described as having a rattlesnake on one side and a Forty Niner panning for gold on the other side.

If you watch the episode, you will see the Forty Niner side of the "gold" slug was actually a Miner Standing Facsimile Gold Slug, of which several types may be seen in the Gold Rush: Medals, Counters, Slugs, and Coins Custom Set. (The Rattlesnake side is never shown in this episode as the facsimile slug actually had an Eagle on the reverse.)

11308.jpg

See more journals by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

But the fact the slug commemorates the Lost Dutchman Mine in Arizona would tend to make the connection to Gunsmoke a little weaker. Wasn't that show set in the Reno NV area? Maybe it was just a souvenir sold as novelties in AZ?

Malcolm

Oops, I was thinking of Bonanza when I mentioned Northern Nevada, Gunsmoke was set in Dodge City, so I guess my theory still stands in regards to the source of the slug.

Malcolm