• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st bad ebay experience

36 posts in this topic

I have been using ebay to mostly buy and sometimes sell for about 4 years now.

I have recieved a few coins which were not as described and once not the same coin listed. In each case the situation was handled promptly and I was not out anything.

I have also had a couple of coins I sold returned. Each of these also were handled promptly with out problem.

How ever this last coin I sold the buyer did return and things did not go smooth.

It was a 1914-s nickel which was listed as uncirculated and richly toned. The pics listed below are spot on.

I did have a 2% restock fee in the return policy.

The buyer returned because he felt the pic looked nothing like the coin and he expected a brilliant piece. I did not ask he just chose to state the coin was too dark and did not match some other buffs I had listed.

I refunded the day I recieved the coin. The buyer was upset and would not agree to a cancel transaction. So I met him half way and only charged 1%. $4.75

Still unhappy the buyer opened a case and claimed the coin was not as described. The obverse was cleaned and he did not want to mention this to me.

Not true. He just did not like the toning.

Also claimed I would not respond and charged a 10% fee. $47.50

I had the choice to give the $4.75 or let ebay make the decision. So after the blatant lies I chose to let ebay decide.

With in 1 hour the case was resolved in my favor.

I am sure I will now have to fight the neg which is sure to come but oh well.

I felt I upheld my end which was agreed to upon purchase. Maybe I should have not charged a fee. I am not sure.

14s.jpg

I feel that you were correct in charging the restock fee if it stated in the return policy.even without the fee you would most likely received neg feedback.You just cant please everyone,I think the coin looks great!!!!

Once quoted by former CEO Meg Whitman, "e-Bay is not for everyone"

Not sure I understand your comment.

Not for me, him, or both?

A few hundred pleasent transactions and only one bad. I think that is ok?

Elaborate please.

I too have bought and sold coins on E-Bay and to date I've never sent one back (although I should have) and have gotten 3 back in about 3 years. I describe as accurately as I can but my pictures leave something to be desired.

In each case I just require that the buyer pay return shipping only. Once I get the coin back, I send the money in full. I don't agree with a restocking fee. I'm sure this person just felt the same. The fact that a transaction that wasn't completed cost the party money is begging for negative feedback.

The way I look at it if you're a little guy, what's to restock? It just goes back in a box. If you're a big time coin dealer, restocking should just be the cost of doing business.

On E-Bay the people who allow no returns and the people who charge high shipping fees never get my business.

I'm pretty sure others feel this way too.

I feel that you were correct in charging the restock fee if it stated in the return policy.even without the fee you would most likely received neg feedback.You just cant please everyone,I think the coin looks great!!!!

I have not been negged yet I just expect it will happen.

I hope that the buyer truly thought by mistake he was charged 10% and perhaps will not neg now that he realizes it was just 1%. Who knows.

if you dont agree with restock fees thats fine,but if it is plainly stated in the return policy(which i hope you read before you bid)then you agree to those terms when bidding.if not dont bid!!!

I too have bought and sold coins on E-Bay and to date I've never sent one back (although I should have) and have gotten 3 back in about 3 years. I describe as accurately as I can but my pictures leave something to be desired.

In each case I just require that the buyer pay return shipping only. Once I get the coin back, I send the money in full. I don't agree with a restocking fee. I'm sure this person just felt the same. The fact that a transaction that wasn't completed cost the party money is begging for negative feedback.

The way I look at it if you're a little guy, what's to restock? It just goes back in a box. If you're a big time coin dealer, restocking should just be the cost of doing business.

On E-Bay the people who allow no returns and the people who charge high shipping fees never get my business.

I'm pretty sure others feel this way too.

I can understand if a person is not interested in a coin that does charge a fee. Do not bid.

I can also understand if the coin is truly not as described then fight the fee.

It was stated and accurate. So an agreement was made. Either uphold or do not buy.

You can not go back on every agreement on ebay or any where else if you know the details going in.

I will make two points and one comment.

The first point is that I strongly urge all buyers to avoid all sellers that charge a restocking fee on non-bullion items as I often view the fee as little more than an attempt to coerce buyers to keep sub-standard coinage. The second point is that computer monitors display color and brightness differently from one computer to another and from one display angle to another, which means that although you may believe the images are completely accurate on your monitor, they may not be completely accurate to the potential buyer on his/her monitor. The comment is that this seems like an awful lot of time, stress and effort to go through simply to alienate a buyer and save a few bucks.

The first point is that I strongly urge all buyers to avoid all sellers that charge a restocking fee on non-bullion items as I often view the fee as little more than an attempt to coerce buyers to keep sub-standard coinage. The second point is that computer monitors display color and brightness differently from one computer to another and from one display angle to another, which means that although you may believe the images are completely accurate on your monitor, they may not be completely accurate to the potential buyer on his/her monitor. The comment is that this seems like an awful lot of time, stress and effort to go through simply to alienate a buyer and save a few bucks.

You make a valid point with the monitor. Which I did not consider. Still comparing this coin to other which were listed seems odd as none looked remotely close to this one.

I am just curious to your thought on sellers who charge a $3 to $5 shipping fee and only refund the bid amount. This usually amounts to far more than 2%.

After ebay canceled a listing of mine for not showing the PCGS label on a a holder when it was clearly there in the 4th picture I canceled all 4 items I had listed and will not sell on ebay again. This is the 4th time in a month they have canceled a listing that fully complied with their policies, first 3 times they reinstated, this time I told them to shove it and hung up. Tired of the high fees and their attitude towards smaller sellers (I average around $500 a month).

I view keeping the shipping fee as reasonable, if the seller chooses to go that route, when giving a refund as long as the shipping fee is commensurate with the shipping cost. In other words, if it costs $4 to ship and one charges $5 then that is fair enough, but if it costs $4 to ship and one charges $25 then that appears excessive. You are absolutely correct that in at least some cases retaining the shipping costs vs. a restocking fee is six-of-one or half-dozen-of-another.

In my case I sell off of my website, do not charge for shipping and do not deal with ebay at all. However, I also understand that this is not feasible for a large number of folks and that ebay can be the best alternative in that case.

I agree spot-on with TomB on both his points and his comment.

I avoid "fee" sellers as I think they are hiding something or playing some game.

I don't go into any purchase looking to return it. I am looking for sellers who stand behind their stuff with no games....and I view fees as a game and a bullying coersion tactic. Not saying the OP in this case is doing that, but just saying that is generically how I see it.

was that at auction or BIN?

just curious as that seems strong 64 value

eBay has gravitated to please buyers so that buyers keep coming back

I guess having a return is better than waiting 3 weeks and deciding the buyer is not going to pay

I had 1 guy that by reading the feedback, easily has 50 non-paid items -

so much for the old 3 npb strikes and gone

I just refund PAYPAL payment and start resolution to cancel auction to get fees back - I don't know, can they leave feedback after this is started or completed?

eBay charges commission on shipping fees charged anyway now, so I am not sure if anything gained by charging them

It was an auction.

Although I would consider it a bin since I started the coin at $475 and planned to lower it by $25 until it sold or reached $425.

I only sell a few items so in buy it now they are always at the bottom of a search.

I did post this coin a few months ago when I decided I may sell to get opinions. After advice on pics I decided to list raw.

Now I am just going to send it in to ngc. Unfortunately I really only have 2 coins I care to certify so I will probably wait.

I agree spot-on with TomB on both his points and his comment.

I avoid "fee" sellers as I think they are hiding something or playing some game.

I don't go into any purchase looking to return it. I am looking for sellers who stand behind their stuff with no games....and I view fees as a game and a bullying coersion tactic. Not saying the OP in this case is doing that, but just saying that is generically how I see it.

I was not trying to hide or play any games with any one.

I will say though after some further thought I believe I will reconsider the fee in the future.

I suppose out of maybe 100 or so sells I have had 3 returns and 2 of which were pcgs graded maybe there is no need.

In hind sight after a few days thought I think I let the buyers initial comments upset me. Instead of going half way with 1% I should have just gave him it all and moved on.

To late now.

Eliminating the fee in the future may save more than a few dollars head ache.

To add to what Tom said...it's not worth the time and energy....I think restocking fees are bad for business....returns are simply a cost of doing business and at least your not paying rent and utilities on a brick and mortar shop.

I was setting up some of my auctions this morning and I have two monitors, when I pulled up the coin images on the one monitor they looked too bright and washed out so I thought I was going to have to reimage them.. :censored:

When I uploaded them into my Ebay auctions on the other monitor the colors looked just fine and the images weren't washed out at all....so monitors make a huge difference as Tom pointed out. (thumbs u

To add to what Tom said...it's not worth the time and energy....I think restocking fees are bad for business....returns are simply a cost of doing business and at least your not paying rent and utilities on a brick and mortar shop.

I was setting up some of my auctions this morning and I have two monitors, when I pulled up the coin images on the one monitor they looked too bright and washed out so I thought I was going to have to reimage them.. :censored:

When I uploaded them into my Ebay auctions on the other monitor the colors looked just fine and the images weren't washed out at all....so monitors make a huge difference as Tom pointed out. (thumbs u

I believe you both make valid points.

Just to clarify I am in know way a coin dealer nor do I have a buisness model related to coins. Perhaps I should look at is a cost of collecting. Most dealers in my area at least will not pay close to what I can get on ebay when I do sell off. Might be my unusal taste? If I were to travel to sell it would be far more costly.

Live and Learn.

If not in a hurry, can submit through Teletrade or great collections, and get coin in slab

with a valuable coin like that, a 65 or 66 would really bump value-

coversely cleaned or 62 would lower

eBay is turning into an approval service - but frequently high retail

and some items you need to sell a couple times until someone likes it

- I just add a line saying - buyer returned this because """"" and relist

and possibly add another pic showing what the buyer was saying

-> this frequently shows the returning buyer that you were not trying to srue anyone - and they leave good feedback

-it had more color than I thought

-it had less color than I thought

-it dosn't have as much luster as I thought

- I think it maybe AU instead if BU

-I don't like the small spot by the nose

- the government packaging is in worse shape than I thought

....... can't please everyone all the time

so even though you consider this your first 'bad' experience, it was not that bad

as you got your coin back

negative feedback is not something you can predict, you shouldn't worry about if you get one - as long as you are trying to be fair, you should be okay

I have consigned to GC before and was very pleased. I am considering this again.

I do agree if the coin were to go 65 it is in my best interest anyhow.

You are correct all in all not so bad.

Just in comparison to other transactions it was nothing I had dealt with before.

Not really worried about the feedback just got the vibe it was inevitable. From what I have seen lots of buyers do not seem to read the feedback of those they deal with. I do find this odd.

The first point is that I strongly urge all buyers to avoid all sellers that charge a restocking fee on non-bullion items as I often view the fee as little more than an attempt to coerce buyers to keep sub-standard coinage.

I fully agree, and I tend to avoid sellers that have restocking fees. With this said, it sounds to me like the buyer in the original post didn't bother reading the details of the return (i.e. the restocking fee) and is now angry at you. I don't think one negative feedback entry will have a significant effect on sales. You cannot please everyone.

The first point is that I strongly urge all buyers to avoid all sellers that charge a restocking fee on non-bullion items as I often view the fee as little more than an attempt to coerce buyers to keep sub-standard coinage.

I fully agree, and I tend to avoid sellers that have restocking fees. With this said, it sounds to me like the buyer in the original post didn't bother reading the details of the return (i.e. the restocking fee) and is now angry at you. I don't think one negative feedback entry will have a significant effect on sales. You cannot please everyone.

I think restocking fees are unethical for NON bullion products.

My Point of view which may differ from others.

You won because it clearly stated in your return policy though and thats why you won your claim so quickly - You did however LOSE a customer.

Customer valuation over time is difficult to figure out in the coin arena, so I would rather keep them than lose them. I would have settled with the guy immediately and he may have wanted to buy something else in the future because of your quick courtesy .... Now .. I dont think so.

Unethical is a very strong term.

That would imply that intentionally had a fee which is presumably high enough to profit from. Also that I was selling junk to be returned.

I have already stated I probably made a mistake by charging the fee to begin with.

I would say that you could also find an ethical dispute on the buyers side also.

I may have another coin he wants in the future but I also would be afraid to deal with him.

Even though ebay ruled in my favour so this will not count against me.

To keep all parties happy they chose to refund the buyer at their expense.

Probably cheaper to pay the $4.75 rather than pay manpower to handle it.

Copper Toning,

You DO HAVE the $19.95 per month E-Bay option of changing negative feedback to glowing recommendations by just right clicking the offending purchasers screenname then typing in what you wish, don't you?

Hehehehehe.......

Copper Toning,

You DO HAVE the $19.95 per month E-Bay option of changing negative feedback to glowing recommendations by just right clicking the offending purchasers screenname then typing in what you wish, don't you?

Hehehehehe.......

?

I strongly urge all buyers to avoid all sellers that charge a restocking fee ...

Well said and I agree. I keep away from these sellers and I also urge all buyers to do the same.

These sellers don't seem to realize they lose more money by the bidders they keep away from their auctions than from the rare restocking fee they collect.

Not very smart. But they deserve it.