• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC grading

2 posts in this topic

I'm kind of new to the world of coin collecting. I've made purchases from the US Mint. My question is: Should I have my Proof coins (purchased by the mint) graded by NGC? Would doing this increase the values or are they worth more in their original state from the US Mint?

Welcome to our forums and to the world of coin collecting. The decision to certify or not certify, and particulary where modern coins are concerned is strictly a matter of personal preference. Many will only buy certified coins, but I can make a stronger case for why better grade or key date classic (older) coins should almost always be certified by NGC. I think you need to first decide if it is your desire to collect coins or holders or both. Some might prefer only government holders where modern collecting is concerned, while others may want only NGC certified coins because they are more interested in the grade of the coin as determined both professionally and independently. Many I think will eventually collect both even though they may start out collecting only one or the other. There are some instances where original packaging is more desireable, but many where it does not make a difference. In terms of value, a recent dated proof set for example would probably be worth less ungraded and in its government holder, then if broken out and one of the coins were to grade PF70 if certified by one of the two major grading services. Of course that would depend on whatever market conditions exists when you are selling, as determined largely by the supply and demand at that time. Where values are concerned, you may want to get feedback from other forum members by posting over in the US Coins forum.

John