• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank you!

36 posts in this topic

That's funny. I'll speak my mind over there when I do post, but having been in this business for what seems like ages now, I feel bound to a certain level of professionalism (or political correctness, or both) that would probably keep me from getting banned. I'm also sure I'll post far more often here as it is more like home to me.

John

John -

Now that you're on the outside looking in, I'm curious, there must be some funny/interesting stories to tell after being a finalizer for NGC. You know, stuff like the 'S' falling off the '09-VDB just before it got to you...things like that grin.gif Do you have any that you care to share?

Sorry about hijacking this thread...

OK......... well as you might guess I worked with many different people at NGC over those 8 years, a diverse and very talented group. It was always interesting when we would be testing out someone new for a grading position. I can tell you, that the vast majority of them do not make it past the first few days, and this includes some big and well known names that I will of course not mention. Some make it, but have bumps along the way in the training process. One well known numismatist was "hot and cold" so we thought it best that he take a break from grading and we had him help out with preparing bulk submissions for encapsulation. We all joked, including him, about how he had been demoted, but it was actually the break he needed as he came back stronger after a week or two reprieve. He is no longer with NGC or involved in professional grading, but he is in a very good position with another numismatic company.....

I never had a mintmark fall off, but I have seen some pretty ridiculous added mintmarks including mintmarks on coins that do not exist on the genuine item, such as a 1915 "D" $5 Indian.

And then, there was the 1804, "reeded edge" dollar. smile.gif

John

John - thanks for sharing.

With all the toned coins that are being submitted I imagine that you've seen more than your share of doctored ones. Did you ever handle any where the colors actually stained your hands?

Also, I've had my share of coins that I've submitted where, when I get the grades and look at what I sent in can't help but ponder, what was I thinking when I sent this in. Did you see many like that?

John - thanks for sharing.

With all the toned coins that are being submitted I imagine that you've seen more than your share of doctored ones. Did you ever handle any where the colors actually stained your hands?

Also, I've had my share of coins that I've submitted where, when I get the grades and look at what I sent in can't help but ponder, what was I thinking when I sent this in. Did you see many like that?

I never had toning come off in my hands, no. But....... I have handled coins that smelled so bad they could be smelled imediately after removing them from the flip. This usually indicates artificial toning, though not all art toning will smell.

Ownership can really taint ones view of a coins grade, no doubt, and coins are submitted regularly that are not worth the fee paid. Often the owners know this but just want it graded anyway, but sometimes it is just not knowing.

John