• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 S Morgan XF Details

2 posts in this topic

Okay, I need some education here. I received back from NGC an 1892 S Morgan graded XF Details Obverse Stained. What is obverse stained? I assume it is more than I spilled coffee on it. And why would someone stain it? It is not AT, just bright. Whatever you can tell me will help. Thanks.

If you can post images, you are more likely to get helpful feedback.

But in the mean time...."Stained" is typically different from AT, and from a man-made stain. My guess is that the coin displays some especially dark and/or unsightly and/or distracting toning or residue. This is from NGC's website:

"ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS

Conditions detrimental to coins are those involving unsuitable storage containers, extremes of heat and humidity, as well as atmospheric pollutants and saltwater. Sea-salvaged and treasure coins are often victims of environmental contamination that leave their surfaces in a state that makes them ineligible for numeric grading. This is true also of coins stored in highly reactive paper or plastic storage media.

STAINED coins display discoloration but not corrosion. More often than not such staining is irremovable. When isolated to one side, it is described as OBV STAINED or REV STAINED."