• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unknown Foreign Coin

6 posts in this topic

Someone placed this coin in our snack room coin bucket. Any idea what it is? The size is between a US Quarter and US Half-Dollar.

I'm still looking online, but wanted to post here as well just in case someone knew off the top of their head. Thanks in advance!!!

125491.jpg.073b1ce29b8aa316f71d3ac58c30d18f.jpg

Taiwan 5 Yuan Y548 made of coppernickel 28.9 mm diameter reeded edge. Made from 1970 to 1981, no rare dates, catalogs at $0.50 in XF.

Thanks Conder101! I keep any foreign coins I find in US circulation and being on a military installation I come across a couple every so often. I don't plan on making a fortune, I just think they are cool.

Foreign coins make a great thing to collect. You can collect a coin from each country or type collect one or more countries. There are literally thousands of different types that can be collected for VERY little money. Just going through poundage or junk boxes you can assemble a well over a hundred countries and hundreds of different types for as littel as a quarter or less apiece. It's a great way for a beginner to start. Especially good for kids who don't have much money. The only problem is buying the books. The Krause catalogs are costly, but if you go with one a few years old you can save a bundle.

Foreign coins make a great thing to collect. You can collect a coin from each country or type collect one or more countries. There are literally thousands of different types that can be collected for VERY little money. Just going through poundage or junk boxes you can assemble a well over a hundred countries and hundreds of different types for as littel as a quarter or less apiece. It's a great way for a beginner to start. Especially good for kids who don't have much money. The only problem is buying the books. The Krause catalogs are costly, but if you go with one a few years old you can save a bundle.

Fully agree. The catalogs come with great information for figuring out dates, etc. in foreign scripts, and you can go through junk bins and pick out lots of stuff that was overlooked, because the dealer was too busy to bother with them individually, but you might consider it a fun activity. Even an obsolete Krause will at least tip you off which years are rare, which varieties exist, and so on. And I find that if I go in with $5 or $10, one or two or four finds nearly always make that worth my while.