• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perfect? posted by Eagles-R-it

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In who's eye?

Here is a pic of my latest aquisition. MS69 W Silver Eagle. I have looked this coin over and over with a 10x glass, and can find no faults. Used diffferent light, angles and such. It seems all my MS69 W burnished Eagles are totally problem free. Am I lucky, is it the burnished blank that doesn't let small imperfections show? I don't know.

Perhaps some of you more experienced members can help. I have MS70s not burnished that should be 69s or even 68s. I know grading is an aquired knowledge, but these burnished I have gotten lately are stunning. Oops, just a thought, could they be Chinese fakes? Or should I say faux?

Anyway enjoy my latest addition to my 69 collection and give me your opinion on the burnished graded holdered coins being overall superior than regular issues.

11187.JPG

See more journals by Eagles-R-it

For a coin to merit the 70 grade it must have no imperfections at 5x magnification and also be fully struck, your coin may not be fully struck and that is a difficult thing to figure out.

I have a few PF70 coins that have easily visible flaws like a nick on the rim, you could always challenge it and see how that goes. The difference in price between a 69 and 70 may not merit doing that because as grading goes everything costs money.

Nice coin anyways! :banana:

TBH, grading is sometimes like playing slots...when you get a 70 you hit the 7-7-7 jackpot, and with a 69 you missed the last 7. Submit it 20 times and it might hit it once, or might not.