• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post A Coin You Are Hopelessly Buried In

42 posts in this topic

I paid $310 for this, and I don't know what I was thinking at the time. It was the result of bidding fever; I have learned my lesson.

She sure is nice looking. I've learned my lesson too... I think.

I try at all times to not get caught up in bidding fever, and to never bury myself in a coin. If I pay a ridiculous price, it is only going to be at auction - which means that someone else is willing to pay almost the same price as me (and implying that I am not that buried in it).

I try at all times to not get caught up in bidding fever, and to never bury myself in a coin. If I pay a ridiculous price, it is only going to be at auction - which means that someone else is willing to pay almost the same price as me (and implying that I am not that buried in it).

Well, using your logic, I am not hopelessly buried in this coin, as I acquired it from someone who paid north of $400 for it. Your post makes me feel better, lol.

Well, using your logic, I am not hopelessly buried in this coin, as I acquired it from someone who paid north of $400 for it. Your post makes me feel better, lol.

My error was an eBay purchase. I haven't had much luck selling it.

My error was an eBay purchase. I haven't had much luck selling it.

I agree that the price was high but that color is INSANE!! In a good way! ;)

I paid $310 for this, and I don't know what I was thinking at the time. It was the result of bidding fever; I have learned my lesson.

SilverEagleTrueView.jpg

Have you shown this to Coinsarefun? She would go nuts for it!!

I have $60 stuck in this was advertised as MS-60 :P

1928-S-Peace-Obverse-1.jpg

In fairness, you could probably sell the coin at the $40 level or so and only take a $20 loss. This is a large (1/3 of the original price) loss, but in the grander scheme of things, $20 is a cheap education.

I won't be bidding at any more of that guys auctions. I did some research on him after receiving this and his refusal to take it back. He does this to people all the time. I do have it listed for sale and it would work as filler for someone who needs the rarer S mint.

I will undoubtedly lose my shirt when I sell my Silver Proof Set as I have no interest in keeping the set up to date ( Though I just ordered the 2012 grrrrrrrrr ) (SPAM) ...

I bought this coin 3-4 years ago as I most recently found the invoice from DLRC. Its avaraging about 1/2 of what I paid at todays pricing. :o

125280.jpg.be3b4d1085ec1daa55cf85dba1d166a6.jpg

Have you shown this to Coinsarefun? She would go nuts for it!!

I bought it from her.

I looked for an emoticon for "irony" but couldn't find one. lol.

Hey, no matter if you're upside down on that coin -- it is a beaut!!!

I am in the same boat as John....all my "Possiden Adventures" came in mint packaging....and being the bright boy that I am, I keep ordering from them.... I just got notice that they shipped my subscription orders the other day... Is there a "mint buyers anonymous" group somewhere?

I am in the same boat as John....all my "Possiden Adventures" came in mint packaging....and being the bright boy that I am, I keep ordering from them.... I just got notice that they shipped my subscription orders the other day... Is there a "mint buyers anonymous" group somewhere?

I learned my lesson on the US Mint back in the mid-80's (year, not age lol ) ... still it is the only practical way to get some items.

I won't be bidding at any more of that guys auctions. I did some research on him after receiving this and his refusal to take it back. He does this to people all the time. I do have it listed for sale and it would work as filler for someone who needs the rarer S mint.

If you bought the coin via PayPal or through eBay, file a complaint under the eBay/PayPal buyer protection plans. If you paid via credit card (as I recommend), you can do a charge back, and upon successful reversal of the fees, you can then mail it back (after the original seller in this particular case - who intentionally and grossly misrepresented the coin - pays you for the return shipping and handling).

I will undoubtedly lose my shirt when I sell my Silver Proof Set as I have no interest in keeping the set up to date ( Though I just ordered the 2012 grrrrrrrrr ) (SPAM) ...

I bought this coin 3-4 years ago as I most recently found the invoice from DLRC. Its avaraging about 1/2 of what I paid at todays pricing. :o

I think the biggest problem here is the market. With the poor economy, fewer collectors have funds available for luxury items, and moderns are usually the first coins to take a hit because many collectors assume that they will be easy to find later. While this isn't necessarily true of the 1995-W, the decrease in the Silver Eagle market generally may be the culprit.

In short, if I were you, I would consider holding the set for a year or two. I think it will be worth the wait.

I'll sell for a loss before being buried.

I'll sell for a loss too; however, if I am only going to receive a few cents on the dollar, I might as well keep the coin (since I obviously liked it enough to buy the coin in the first place).

I think the biggest problem here is the market. With the poor economy, fewer collectors have funds available for luxury items, and moderns are usually the first coins to take a hit because many collectors assume that they will be easy to find later. While this isn't necessarily true of the 1995-W, the decrease in the Silver Eagle market generally may be the culprit.

In short, if I were you, I would consider holding the set for a year or two. I think it will be worth the wait.

I have a knack for selling at the wrong time - I used to have a roll of every year MS silver eagles and sold at $15 ounce, they obviously did much better than melt but could have done much better

The best person who screws me is myself ... :makepoint:

I'll sell for a loss before being buried.

sell for a loss == being buried

If you like the coin then, IMO, don't SELL! :)

jom

Way this auction house works is all sales are final so no recourse. I tried paypal and they said the same.

Just cut your losses and move on. We're only talking $20 here.