• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My CAC visit today. More pics added!

91 posts in this topic

RWB, the fact that my submissions have averaged 70% or better tells me that I do have a good eye for coins, and quality at that. I use CAC for liquidity and to learn if I missed something. With how advanced coin doctoring has become, even the seasoned veteran can miss some things. Each time I go, I speak to John and he tells me why something didn't pass. In some cases I expected it. In this submission, one coin that didn't pass I expected it wouldn't.

And in regards to liquidity, the reason I started going and continue us because of multiple health issues. If something was to happen to me, the CAC sticker ensures that my family would get the most for the coins when/if they sell.

RWB's analogy between certifications by Walter Breen and CAC is not a good one. CAC backs up it's opinions (i.e., stickering process) by making a market for CAC-approved coins, and even buying back coins that should not have been stickered. Indeed, the CAC principals have made it clear that their primary reason for the stickering process is identifying coins that they deem acceptable for sight-unseen trading among dealer-members. Breen did not do that, and people who knew him also knew that he was chronically short of funds throughout much of his life. It is easy to render an opinion (especially for a modest payment) as Breen so often did, not so easy to do the same when your money is on the line if you screw up.

The more priceless thing fir me is learning from John.

I think that just about anyone could learn something from John, if they would be open to it. I know that I always am. And I suspect that many of those who have a great deal to learn are the least willing.

I'd love to learn from JA but since I don't live down the street from CAC how can one take advantage of this? hm

jom

To the OP and others:

My comments are not, and almost never are, related to "liquidity" or "profit" or any other financial aspect of coin collecting. Also, there are some in the coin business who consider me incredibly stupid for not profiting financially from numismatic research. But money is not why the research is done – I hope its value will be beyond a few shekels of silver or temporary gratification.

It is commendable that some, such as the OP, think of the future and their families, and act to do what they can to maintain the value of their collections. The “worm in the apple” is that opinions are not guaranty. It is only the presence of the maker that “guarantees” what a sticker, or label states. Collector conversations and postings on many message boards are clear that grading and stickers and related subjects are very far from being well understood by collectors or dealers – interpretations, meanings and assumptions continue to float. It would seem that the more information a collector has, and the effort they take to convey that to their families, would eventually benefit heirs.

As for the Breen example – his certification was considered its own guarantee for many years, until factual research got in the way of Wally’s opinions.

My $90 [sic: $70] comment was about the OP getting a lot of personal validation and satisfaction for his money – the other things mentioned are fleeting, his stickers are much longer lasting. That meaning seemed clear to me, but obviously the OP did not understand, or I was not as clear as I thought.

From having been involved in the hobby to some degree for many years, the observation is that many collectors of today seem to seek security by having someone else assess the quality of their coins routinely. Special situations, such as authenticity or suspected alteration or die varieties, can certainly commend an independent assessment. However, to me it seems a needless waste of money and time to depend habitually on others to do the thinking. Contrary to learning anything, it is a clear demonstration that a collector is unwilling or unable to learn some of the fundamental knowledge of the hobby.

A generation or so ago, collectors took coins to Wally Breen for certification. If Wally said it was a “Roman proof” so be it – the collector didn’t attempt to question the assessment or learn anything more. Only later did collectors discover that Wally didn’t know what a “Roman proof” was, didn’t know how they were made and had never actually done the archival grunt work to validate what he was certifying. Few Breen certification letters are accepted at “face value” today.

The collector of antique radios does not ask for validation of their every decision: “Does this power cord look frayed?” “Should I turn the dial left or right?” “Is this vacuum tube certified?”

The suggestion is to enjoy the hobby and don’t pay attention to old farts who grumble about the “Good ‘Ol Days when Men were Men and the ‘Ol West was as real as the 25-cent Saturday Double Feature.”

It's always nice to get a pat on the back. That's why a lot of posts are made, and a green bean is a pat on the back that says "you done good" and everybody can enjoy it with you. Nice coins by the way bean or no bean.

wheat

I think that just about anyone could learn something from John, if they would be open to it. I know that I always am. And I suspect that many of those who have a great deal to learn are the least willing.

I'd love to learn from JA but since I don't live down the street from CAC how can one take advantage of this? hm

jom

Just sign up for a collectors membership and mail your coins over to them.

I've seen big packages come in while waiting and once saw a delivery by a Brinks truck! :insane:

I'd love to know what was in that submission....

jom

Just sign up for a collectors membership and mail your coins over to them.

I've seen big packages come in while waiting and once saw a delivery by a Brinks truck! :insane:

I'd love to know what was in that submission....

Unfortunately, CAC is no longer accepting collector memberships.

That being said, since I also live in NJ, I wonder if they would sticker my coins for me if I show up in person, despite not having a membership.

My last report from them was just this last week,stating a

modest rate increase.The change will not effect collector

members until Dec 31,2012.

It says nothing about extending membership,as i am a member..

I believe they opened collector memberships up again. Call them!

Yeah, I don't think they are allowing collector members but I'll give them a call.

HOWEVER, it doesn't really answer my question. How can I take advantage of JA's knowledge since I don't live in that area? If I were a member would I be able to discuss my coins with him (after submission)? I wouldn't think the man would have the time for that....

Just curious. hm

jom

Yeah, I don't think they are allowing collector members but I'll give them a call.

HOWEVER, it doesn't really answer my question. How can I take advantage of JA's knowledge since I don't live in that area? If I were a member would I be able to discuss my coins with him (after submission)? I wouldn't think the man would have the time for that....

Just curious. hm

jom

jom,

I got a submission back last week and two coins didn't sticker. I called JA and he gave me his reasoning why. He's totally approachable and this is just another plus for his company.

Just curious. hm

jom

jom,

I got a submission back last week and two coins didn't sticker. I called JA and he gave me his reasoning why. He's totally approachable and this is just another plus for his company.

With all the coins he sees, how does he remember 2 coins like that? Does he keep notes on each and every coin? Only the ones that don't pass? Were they so standout that he could remember?

Serious questions as I have never met him and am curious as to what goes on and how.

Just called CAC. Collector memberships are OPEN!

If you want to talk to John about a coin, the best thing to do is call when the coins are still in process and let them know you'd like to talk to John about a specific one.

Hope this helps!

Ankur

I requested consideration for a collector membership, as there are no submission centers in Colorado.

When you are accepted for a Collectors Membership with CAC you can submit coins to them on your own. You don't need anyone else.

I requested consideration for a collector membership, as there are no submission centers in Colorado.

When you are accepted for a Collectors Membership with CAC you can submit coins to them on your own. You don't need anyone else.

Yeah, I think that's what he meant.

Anyway, thanks all for the heads-up!

jom

I just called. They are accepting applications but there is a waiting list that could be anywhere from 6 mos to a year. I'm on the list now...

jom

I just called as well, and got put on the waiting list.

The gentleman says that they allow a grouping of 30-50 new members at a time every month or so.

Could be a year or 18 months until I am in, lol.

I would think of it this way

you paid $90

to find 2 coins that are not up to snuff

and one coin that's undergraded.

that's

TOO DAMN CHEAP

I agree. However, much of that savings goes down the drain once you consider the FACT that the original TPG blew the call in the first place...

jom

not really,

you are still learning the grading standards from a top grader

and getting confirmation/ examination for doctoring

I mean, to each his own.

Yes, I agree. Nothing wrong with CAC in all of this.

What I was saying was that it is unfortunate we have to rely on yet another opinion because the TPG couldn't DO THEIR JOB in the first place.

jom

not really,

you are still learning the grading standards from a top grader

and getting confirmation/ examination for doctoring

I mean, to each his own.

Yes, I agree. Nothing wrong with CAC in all of this.

What I was saying was that it is unfortunate we have to rely on yet another opinion because the TPG couldn't DO THEIR JOB in the first place.

jom

But what if the TPG got it right, and CAC got it wrong? It can go both ways.