• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this Merc's toning appeal to you or is it a major pass for your collection?

17 posts in this topic

Just for fun, I am soliciting opinions from the peanut gallery regarding this Merc's toning. Some might describe it gently as attractively varigated whereas others may dismiss it as motley/ugly. Some of the darkness around the rims is due to the coin sitting tilted in its holder so that the light creates a little shadow effect. It is housed in an old NGC fatty MS65 FB holder and I purchased it for greysheet money late last year.

eee239e8.jpg

Like? Dislike? Explain your reasoning. Be as direct as you like.

It is not worth a huge premium, but I think it is quite attractive. It is not what I would call mottled, although its not the smooth rainbows you sometimes see. If the luster is strong, I'll bet this coin is quite attractive in hand.

I love it. A lot of the Mercury Dimes in the teens had that same toning. It seemed to end in 1920, at least I have not seen any after that. Great coin.

Jim

I find it quite attractive. I feel the images are probably a bit dark and the luster is a bit subdued due to the difficulty of getting a good shot with the coin tilted in the holder. Overall though, it is an attractive type coin. (thumbs u

While I find it attractive, and might even purchase it for greysheet, I don't think it would stay in my collection for very long because I would find something that is more exceptional (to me anyway) to replace it. I wouldn't sell it for less than greysheet either. I think its a perfectly fine example of a type coin.

The biggest question I ask when determining if toning is good, bad, or indifferent is how it complements the design. In this case, it works for me, and the splashes of color at the rim are a bonus.