• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from my travels posted by John M. Robinson II

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Went to the mountains of Northern New York for ten days. Found a few interesting things

I try my best, if my budget allows, to visit out of the way antique shops while on my various travels. I have been in the mountains of Northern New York for the past ten days visiting my mother. Taking advantage of my - gift -- from my Uncle Sam this year, a trip or two to some antiques shops was on my to-do list while in the mountains.

The first things I picked up were two rolls of 1976 P and 1891 P Pennies. They were sitting on a window sill in a small mom and pop resturaunt. Picked up these unopened UNC rolls for $3.00 each. I feel I did good on this find.

The next thing I picked up was a 1889 P Morgan. The antique shop had about ten of this coins from the 1880s for sale at a cost of $50.00 each.

I forced myself to keep my credit cards in my wallet and purchased only one coin. I want to make sure the official grading and quality of the purchased coin matches my expectations. Any comments on the images below would be appreciated.

I am now back at home and have my mom visiting with me for a few months. Along with her two mature well-fed cats and poodle joining my own two kittens this should be an interesting visit.

My plan is to have this newest 1889 P Morgan sent in and graded before I return to the Mountains of New York. I hope to purchase a few more of these coins, if the quality and FMV is above normal.

Best wishes to all and have fun on your coin collecting adventures.

Semper Fi !

11132.jpg

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

Hello CV,

I found about ten of this Morgans of very similar condition (mid to late 1880s).... on the banks of the Pacific Ocean, along the state of Arizona. :makepoint:

Thanks for grading comments. I reposted improved images of the coin onto my original post so, a better perspective of the quality can be seen.

I will keep an update going in regards to this coin. Each new coin I rediscover, is a learning adventure.

Jack

Hi,

While you were in Adirondacks did you happen to notice the water levels on the rivers and streams? I will be fishing the West Ausable in a few weeks ( its near Lake Placid) and was wondering if conditions are low given the drought we are having in the northeast (except for today's rain , which is why I am messing around on the message board). Cheers !!

Hello RichH,

I can safely say the water levels in the rivers (smaller ones) and small lakes are doing very well. I was about an hour or so, south or so, from Lake Placid and I was amazed at the level and speed in which the waters were flowing.

Family members who I talked to while on my trip said they are happy with the fishing. Better then in years past when the water levels were very low and slow moving.

If I did this copy link thing correctly, check out this Northern New York FaceBook site. I know that the people on this group do all kinds of hunting and fishing in Northern New York.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/295521020689/10150759179600690/#!/groups/295521020689/

While visiting my mother in NY one of her friends brought her a bunch of freshly caught bullhead. Did not take long to find a home for them in her freezer until she gets back from her visit with me.

Good fishing,

Jack