• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this? Greek or Roman?

7 posts in this topic

Can someone help me identify this coin I found? I'm not an ancient coin expert and do not know what I have or if it is worth anything.

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

THANKS!

Scott

It's not my coin. I was helping a freind who found it in a box of stuff from one of her late relatives. It was the only ancient coin in the box and I am not an ancient coin expert. Anyone that can help me identify the coin would be helpful.

Base on the_Thing's guess that it's Greek, I will start to look there. But if someone could help me, it would be appreciated!

Scott

I'd start here trying to match it up. I think I narrowed it down to issue type anyway.

http://search2.vcoins.com/results.aspx?suid=62246ddb-f974-4b1c-abae-a93d81fab614

Thessaly:Larissa

I did a quick scan of the first page and couldn't find any helmeted portraits. Might be worth adding the word "hemlet". Also search that issue as cngcoins.com I wish I could help more, and ALWAYS wanted to collect ancient Greek silver. They are by far the most artistic and beautiful coins ever minted, which is why they cost so much and I don't collect them, therefore have very limited knowledge on them.

Hi! It looks genuine to me, from Thrace, in present-day Bulgaria, but in ancient times was associated with Greece, the coin is from around 350 B.C., with Hermes on the obverse, and a goat on the reverse. Good luck with it.