• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a 1922 weak D or regular D?

7 posts in this topic

I picked up this beauty for $5 and thought it might be a weak D. But I'm not very good at lincolns. Would this one qualify? From what I have heard, there were two die pairs that created weak D's before creating a no D. This D sure is weak, too.

Neil

87381-1922d.jpg.6dc24476c9fc64de8a38171b5191b42c.jpg

For your trouble, I thought I'd show you a clashed die 1995 cent I got in the same transaction for basically free. smile.gif

Neil

87383-1995clash.jpg.a28de4cd1bc6b0f0885a4ae2f04d3f4b.jpg

I believe that the "weak D" is much more of a ghost image, and is usually mistaken for the plain. If this is a "Weak D," it is extremely strong for the variety.

Charles, from the standpoint of variety though would this be considered a weak d? That 95 was a catch for sure. I have you to thank, too. Reading your posts about cents and even the value of looking through them inspired me this morning. As I was looking through things, I thought to myself that I might find something interesting in the cents and came across this. When the dealer saw I wanted it, he scanned it with a magnifying lens to see if it was a doubled die (I assume) and must have wondered what I saw in it. But I got it basically for free, so in any case I think it was a nice transaction. BTW, the 22d was $6.

Neil

I dunno, Neil. I'm simply not the person to talk to regarding the whole 1922 cent thing. I think there are a bunch of people out there throwing their money away on the worst year the mint had with cents in their history. Minor errors going for thousands of times their value, and a huge amount of hype over nothing.

What I see is a 1922D cent.

Looking at the price guides, the 1922-D runs more than the 1922-D Weak D variety. Of course, the "plain" Weak Reverse and Strong Reverse are the key coins for premium.