• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PF 69 Proof Set coins

3 posts in this topic

I have never sent one of these coins in for grading, but I dare say that it would not be difficult to get a PR-69 out of many of the coins that come from the modern sets. In general the production quality on these coins has been high, although there are issues about the way the coins are handled after they were struck.

As for the mint sets, I have less experience. For a while the mint was selling mint sets that contained high quality coins that got special treatment over and above what circulation strike coins were getting. Now it is my understanding that we are returning to the days of old when normal coins were put in mint issued mint sets.

In the old days the quality of coins in mint sets was abysmal. Some of the stuff looked like it had been dropped on floor, run over by people in track shoes and swept off the floor with wire brushes. Finding an MS-69 from that mess would be as easy as finding 1793 Chain Cent in MS-68.

The coin in earlier Proof sets from say the mid 1980s and earlier were not nicely produced as the modern pieces. Therefore it is rare to find a PR-69 graded coin from one of those sets. Usually PR-67 or 68 is as good as it gets.

I have done it many times with proof SAE's, Lewis and Clark Commemens and with Envelope Ike's. Most modern coins are made and struck well. It is bulk handling and packaging at the mint which causes issues, as well as planchet washing and milk spots.

I do not keep these coins though.