• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Dark Ages (500-800 A.D.)

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a catalogue of coins from this era, especially of northern Europe? (picky, picky lol ) My daughter is planning to go to grad school at Cambridge this fall concentrating on the period and it has peaked my interest.

Thanks,

Wendy

+!, It appears that the Dark Ages were a misnomer by historians lumping partial facts and by region (they were by current accounts, if at all, during 400-700 AD, BTW). Dark ages where? Certainly not in the eastern Roman empire, nor in parts of the Carolingian Empire or parts of England (York, Lancaster).

Well, my "zone of intrigue" is bounded about the time when the Romans left Britain thru the barbarian invasion era. I used the generic term "Early Dark Ages" since there is not just one period involved. This era saw huge shifts in both military, governance and socio/economic influences ... but of course, due to the relatively vast area (for the time) and various degrees of civilization they would have occurred at differing times, much like a wave accross all of northern Europe. It should be interesting to see how these changes affected the various cultures thru their coinage. :)