• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCS & Copper Spots on Gold Coins

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever sent gold coins with copper spots to NCS? If so, was NCS able to conserve the coin and remove the spots? If you have any before and after photographs, I would love to see them.

Coinman, did you win that coin? If so CONGRATS!!! The toning on that, while its only a small portion, is incredibly rare and beautiful.

Next question - why in the blazes would you send that to NCS? There is nothing wrong with that coin, and nothing that NCS should do to it. If you are referring to the couple of orangey spots near the tail - don't touch those. They are a mark of originality, do not affect the eye appeal, and do not need to be removed. Spots like that are often due to improper mixing of the alloy, and will return if removed.

Years ago I sent an Indian quarter eagle to NCS to have a copper spot removed. The spot was a on the depressed area of the Indian's neck and I could not any kind of a decent offer on the coin despite the fact that the base grade was MS-64. NCS dipped off the spot and NGC graded the coin MS-64, and I made a profit on the piece.

My only problem with this is that the spots can come back after a year or so. That's why I don't care for the practice. But before I realized that I did use it that one time

I have to agree! Leave it alone! Its a great coin and I highly doubt NCS works with Rainbow toned gold often. Not saying it cant be done. just dont think it needs to be!

Coinman, did you win that coin? If so CONGRATS!!! The toning on that, while its only a small portion, is incredibly rare and beautiful.

Thanks; I was fortunate enough to win the coin. Great Collections was nice enough to arrange a three month payment plan with me.

If you are referring to the couple of orangey spots near the tail - don't touch those. They are a mark of originality, do not affect the eye appeal, and do not need to be removed. Spots like that are often due to improper mixing of the alloy, and will return if removed.

I am referring to the orange spots at the eagle's tail; this is the one aspect of the coin that I didn't like that much. I still love the toning, and it out weighs this for me.

Years ago I sent an Indian quarter eagle to NCS to have a copper spot removed. The spot was a on the depressed area of the Indian's neck and I could not any kind of a decent offer on the coin despite the fact that the base grade was MS-64. NCS dipped off the spot and NGC graded the coin MS-64, and I made a profit on the piece.

My only problem with this is that the spots can come back after a year or so. That's why I don't care for the practice. But before I realized that I did use it that one time

When you say the spots "can" come back (as others have alluded to), does this always happen or is it possible that removal would be permanent?

When you say the spots "can" come back (as others have alluded to), does this always happen or is it possible that removal would be permanent?

I don't know about "always," but I can say more often than not. The same thing applies if you have spots removed from a Mint State Buffalo nickel. The trouble is the spots are from the copper alloy in the coin. Dipping removes a top layer, but what's below the surface can come up again to the surface.

Since then I've avoided such coins whenever I've spotted them. I don't mind MINOR copper spots or toning. Those who do need to adjust their way of thinking.

NCS had an ad in Coin Would a couple of years ago showing before and after pics of a Liberty double eagle with several large ugly copper spots on the obverse. Based on their pic they appeared to have done a good job removing them. There is no way to remove copper spots on a toned coin without affecting the toning. You wouldn't want a toned coin with pale spots where the copper spots used to be.