• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1873 Victoria Farthing

6 posts in this topic

I just got this yesterday out of a bin of junk coins for $0.30 USD. I am very pleased with it, although there is a smudge of some sort -- perhaps tarnish -- right on Vicky's cheek. The coin is bright copper, has absolutely full detail, and has minimal wear. Every strand of hair on her head is visible, and her dress detail is present. The reverse contains some wear on the highest points, but is still sharp, albeit tarnished.

What do you guys think? How much does the tarnish or whatever it is on her cheek affect the grade?

Obverse

Reverse

Excellent find ... have no idea on the tarnish, but generally such marks will drop the grade a few points ... unfortunate it is on her face as it really detracts. Still it appears possible to grade out as a MS-60 find ... for 30c you cant do much better. :banana:

The coin appears to be AU (XF in britain). These were artificially darkened by the mint on striking. The correct color is nearly black-dark brown. Coin looks like a find for what you paid. Normal commerce rubbed the blacking off, more than likely.

It is considered poor form to ask about a coin and then turn around and try and sell it on the forum. There is a Marketplace column for this stuff.

Sorry if I offended. I don't think its poor form, as I'm not soliciting people to purchase the coin over the forum. I'm just letting people know they can go to another site to try and purchase it, if they so desire. I find it to be actually considerate, given that I'm not opening a new thread in another part of the site, and thereby cluttering things up.

Thanks for your input.