• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Good Buy?

19 posts in this topic

Just joined today and have recently starting collecting. Had a two cent piece that was given to me by my dad 30 yrs ago so have been trying to build a complete set. Bought this one on EBay tonight, looks too good to be true and I know what they say.... Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260999375881?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1105wt_922

Even if it slabbed genuine and I am not saying I see a reason why it would not grade. I think you are still ok.

Nice coin an 1869 was the 3rd coin I ever owned. Not near this nice though. I have only found one that I have purchased since. An 1864 I am always on the look for other dates especially a 69

Pic from way back when. Found it in a pawn shop nearby for $20 not prob free though.

2cent5-1.jpg

Welcome to the forums. I don't see any red flags with your coin. It has a little too much brown to call it full Red, but it is definitely Red-Brown. I would grade it 63RB - so you definitely made a good purchase. Congrats.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not convinced that the coin's color is original, and even if it is, copper can be treacherous. I would not recommend buying uncertified copper coins of any significant value unless you are an expert.

One thing you might do, is check the edges of the coin to see if their color matches that of the obverse and reverse, or if it's darker.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not convinced that the coin's color is original, and even if it is, copper can be treacherous. I would not recommend buying uncertified copper coins of any significant value unless you are an expert.

One thing you might do, is check the edges of the coin to see if their color matches that of the obverse and reverse, or if it's darker.

+1

Welcome to the forums. I don't see any red flags with your coin. It has a little too much brown to call it full Red, but it is definitely Red-Brown. I would grade it 63RB - so you definitely made a good purchase. Congrats.

I think it has enough red to be designated RD however I am in agreement with Mark Feld that I am not convinced that the color is natural. It is hard to tell from a photo but I have had a few certified RD coins with that color that were actually recolored and never should have made it into a holder.

I would be afraid of this coin. It looks like it might be okay, but it's difficult to make much of a definitive statement because one has to interpret the images. My gut feeling is that the coin is not original, having been either dipped at one point or recolored. However, it might be quite nice. Buying raw, red, one-hundred-forty-plus year old copper on ebay scares the bejeebers out of me. Good luck.

I would be afraid of this coin. It looks like it might be okay, but it's difficult to make much of a definitive statement because one has to interpret the images. My gut feeling is that the coin is not original, having been either dipped at one point or recolored. However, it might be quite nice. Buying raw, red, one-hundred-forty-plus year old copper on ebay scares the bejeebers out of me. Good luck.

+1

I would never purchase a raw RD coin unless I was able to see in in hand and have a couple of expert opinions.

I agree the color does look strange and a little unnatural, could be the photos. I took a chance and will get it graded upon receipt, I'll let u all know the results. The seller says he traded for it with a reputable dealer and that he was told for sure not cleaned. We'll see I guess. Thanks for all the advice. Any suggestions for a good online resource to buy 2 cents in AU to MS grades?

Here is a Two Cent piece in MS-65, Red, which has original color IMO. When you get your piece, it should look something like this if the color is original.

1864TwoCentO.jpg1864TwoCentR.jpg

I hope that you have looked at the prices for the 1872 and 1873 Two Cent pieces. You will need deep pockets to fill those two holes.

That's a beautiful coin, hope mine is comparable for sure! Yeah, I realize the 72' will be tough to fill and not interested in a 73' since they were only issued as Proofs and are well above my means.

The coin you bought might well be a winner but the people who are mortified at the purchase of a coin off E-Bay in raw condition have good reason to be concerned. Getting a coin that's PCGS or NGC slabbed gives you "some" level of comfort but even these are not 100% winners.

There are resources such as GreatCollections for these type coins where the quality is rarely an issue. Patience is helpful.

Welcome to the party!!!

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Mark that copper is a VERY tuff alloy, very tricky and you better know what your doing if you purchase raw. But with that said your 2 cent piece looks very nice from the images and best of luck in the future....Joe