• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rims on a coin

17 posts in this topic

Hi there. I am kind of new to collecting and have a question. I wanted to know how much the value and grading of a coin would be affected by not having equal rims on the obverse and reverse of a coin. I purchased than cancelled a transaction on a coin on e-bay recently. The ebay # was 150793763411 I don't know how to attach the photos on this post. Thanks Jerry

I would call it VF details with obverse damage and verdigris. In short, you were wise to pass on the piece.

To answer your original question, I don't see what you are referring to; minor variation would not likely garner any premium unless the coin was struck outside of the collar or broad-struck.

The bid was 112 dollars. I was wondering about the wear around the outside of coin. On the obverse you can easily see ridges but on the reverse side the ridges are worn away. Not sure I am calling these by the correct name. Thanks for the welcome to your chat board! Jerry

Having variable rim wear usually does not have a major effect unless there is no rim (or severe wear) on one side, in which case this may lower the grade. The minor differences here are inconsequential.

thanks for your help in posting those photos. I did not notice the verdigris originally either. I noticed the rim difference after looking at some grading photos. All those grading photos had equal looking rims on both sides of the coin.

They are called dentils (or any variation of the word). It is common on these early coins for them to be different between Obverse and Reverse.

Then I misunderstood his question and I agree with you 100%. I thought he was asking whether differential rim wear has a substantial effect on grade or value (i.e. where the rims are one off on one side of the coin, but not another or there is severe variation in the amount of wear).

thanks for telling me the name of those guys! If its common to have differences between front and back than I guess I returned it for the wrong reason. According to coinman though I made the right choice by accident I guess.

the price guide on ngc listed this coin as 138 in vf and 270 in xf The damage and verdigris on obverse would reduce value by how much? The coin looked like it might grade xf according to photos I saw to compare with

I'll preface this by stating that I do not usually buy these coins in this grade, but I would grade the coin (absent damage) roughly VF35. That's why I initially said VF details. The coin is probably worth F money.

Remember, these coins were struck before steam presses were invented. Hand struck coins commonly have weak spots. Just goes with the territory.

Remember, these coins were struck before steam presses were invented. Hand struck coins commonly have weak spots. Just goes with the territory.

Steam coinage had been invented. The Boulton and Watt company had been using it in England since the 1790s, but steam presses were not introduced at the United States mint until 1836.

As to the issue of the rims on this piece, they are perfectly okay and normal for this coin, but the piece does have some other issues.

The coin has been foreshortened by tilting it away from the camera lens. The ovality gives it away. For issue, it looks acceptable for me but I would like to see it laid flat.