• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Postal Service Has Foiled My Dream

12 posts in this topic

Or at least put a temporary hold on it. I Hope.

I am a true believer in the old bit of numismatic advice that you should buy the book before you buy the coin. In my many years as a collctor, I have created a modest but, for me, very useful library covering every kind of coin I collect and even a few outliers like my copy of Counterfeit Confederate Currency and the Langbord hoard. The one book I have wanted for many years is Q. David Bowers, American Coin Treasure and Hoards. But the price has always been a bit high for my modest budget so I have just waited patiently hoping for a chance to find a copy at a reasonable price. VOILA, finally, I find a copy on EBAT at a BIN price under 50.00. I am ecstatic.

The mailman posts a delivery notice on my door 7 April, I go to pick the book up on 10 April and they cannot find it. They make a copy of the notice, get my contact information, then promise to ask the mailman where the package might be. So today, I go back to the post office, present my delivery notice and, once more, they cannot find the book. Same thing as before, they make copy and take contact information. I came home, went on the USPS.GOV site and filed a complaint.

I am very unhappy.

Malcolm

PS-Thanks for allowing me to rant.

11052.jpg

See more journals by BeawChan

I have had some problems with the USPS on occasion. They have been too lazy to walk a package to my front door that requires signiture confirmation. And I know this because I am home at the time that it has happened. They just leave the notice in the mailbox. Lazy maybe?? (shrug)

Best of luck Malcolm on locating that book

Jeffrey

Normally, I have really good luck with the USPS, but I've also had a couple of bad experiences. I sure hope they find your book.

I guess if it were me with this problem I'd be upset too, as I love Dave Bower's books. I think what I really like, is his combination of coin knowledge and a love of history. 2 I really recommend are "The Treasure Ship S.S. Brother Jonathan" and "A California Gold Rush HIstory". I find myself going back to these 2 a lot, and I can't say enough about them. But be prepared if you get the Gold Rush History book, as it is a VERY heavy book, you'll want to read it at the kitchen table.

Let me know when you've gotten your book Malcolm and have read it, it's one I haven't read yet. I'll probably like it anyway, but I'd love to hear your opinion.

Iowa Silver Baron Bammer

Bummer Malcolm,

I had the same thing happen with a coin last year, got the notice, went to the Post Office, they said they looked for it and couldn't find it fortunately for me I happened to see a package on a shelf that looked similar to ones I'd recieved coins in before and asked them to check it, turned out to be my package on the wrong shelf, mis-shelfed or filed they said, amazing!

toes crossed,

Larry

I was tracking a Priority Mail delivery a few weeks ago; The USPS tracking inbformation said it was received at my local PO and "out for delivery" at 8:00 AM; I was at home all day, waiting for the delivery but at 1:00 PM found the "pink slip" in my mailbox. No attempt was made to deliver it because I was in my house the entire time. Very frustrating because I was leaving for a week-long job assignment the following morning.

I had another Priority Mail package leave the shipping location (Tennessee) January 9 and "disappear" from the tracking system for two weeks. The tracking info as of January 22 showed a "projected delivery date" of January 11. It finally re-appeared in Miami on January 23, and was delivered the next day in SC.

I had something similar happen. I've been looking for a copy of Federal Half Dimes since the first of the year. I've seen some way over priced books on Amazon and a couple of private web sites. Then I find a listing on a google search coin shop site for $75 - I was all over it, only to get a notice the next day that their web site wasn't updated and they didn't have the book. :frustrated:

2 Weeks later I found another google search coin shop with a listing for yup $75 - I processed through again - so hopefully this one will go through... Trying to wait patiently. :whistle:

In my small town the postal workers seem to not want to walk from the van to the house and knock.

Sometimes they leave an insured package in the mailbox also when they SHOULD leave a pink slip.

One thing you guys should ask, can I pick this up after hours? My post office doesn't mind people ringing the door bell on the loading dock with pink slips. I was amazed at first but now I never wait for the next day, I just call after 5pm and ask if my carrier has arrived back, and if so I just ring the door bell.

Well Folks, the book is apparently lost forever. Here's the kicker, the tracking record showed it was successfully delivered on 07 April, which happens to be the first day I went to the Post Office and attempted to retrieve the book after they left a delivery attempt notice the preceding Saturday. SOOOO, I cannot even file a claim with Paypal as the seller sill simply provide the tracking number which indicates the book was delivered. Totally shafted by the Post Office, I am very very unhappy. Is it worth it to file a claim with them? I guess I will try.

Later,

Malcolm