• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever thought of saying, "Bag it all!"?

19 posts in this topic

No, I didn't search all of these. Some of them - the dollar bags on the far right, the large half dollar bags in the middle and the nickel bags on the far left - never even held any coins. The Mint made them available for purchase on their website a few years back.

Two of them I find most interesting are the Continental Coin Corporation bag and the Southern Bell Tel. & Tel bag:

A quick "Google" indicated that the Continental Coin Corp. began business in 1964, and I was wondering what was their primary business. Apparently, it included jewelry and precious metals at some point, but why would they need their own bag? Did they search bulk lots of coins for the rare and/or collectible ones?

Naturally, most of the oldtimers here can remember the federal break-up of Ma Bell back in the 70's. I guess this bag was one of many that were used to be filled with the proceeds collected by the routemen from the pay phones. Just imagine what wonders may have been found in those bags.

Anyway, if any of you should happen to have your own little hoard of bags from old banks or companies, please feel free to post some photos and let us all reminisce about the past.

Chris

124520.jpg.71f5c43d9d0888a6ba423b9bc2556e60.jpg

124521.jpg.838ae575bef3a8119bfea9cc96ff6b99.jpg

124522.jpg.9ac844097ac0abcf2803f2b3ccda5902.jpg

Wow, this gives "It's in the bag" a whole different meaning. Nice collection, Chris. I have never had the opportunity to buy one. I guess I should look on ebay, huh? Super cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

A quick "Google" indicated that the Continental Coin Corp. began business in 1964, and I was wondering what was their primary business. Apparently, it included jewelry and precious metals at some point, but why would they need their own bag? Did they search bulk lots of coins for the rare and/or collectible ones?

I used to deal with Continental Coin in Van Nuys, just north of LA, for many years, from about 1980-1995. They went bankrupt in the late 1990's, yet the name lives on, but it is a different company. At one time, Continental Coin had one of the largest gold and silver bullion market shares on the West Coast and did millions of dollars in 90% silver US coinage every week. They manufactured their own bags to fill the need for buyers of 90%. At one time, Continental had a bullion desk, a currency exchange desk,a scrap gold and silver refinery, a large jewelry business, Foothill Coin retail operation, a huge volume of wholesale and retail traffic. Those were the days.

TRUTH

I used to deal with Continental Coin in Van Nuys, just north of LA, for many years, from about 1980-1995. They went bankrupt in the late 1990's, yet the name lives on, but it is a different company. At one time, Continental Coin had one of the largest gold and silver bullion market shares on the West Coast and did millions of dollars in 90% silver US coinage every week. They manufactured their own bags to fill the need for buyers of 90%. At one time, Continental had a bullion desk, a currency exchange desk,a scrap gold and silver refinery, a large jewelry business, Foothill Coin retail operation, a huge volume of wholesale and retail traffic. Those were the days.

TRUTH

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated!

Chris

If you happen to run across any US Mint bags that have markings, I made this post back in 2007

I wonder when they started using a code like that, Woody? The $50 Cent bag in the lower left of my first photo is from 1980.

Chris

If you happen to run across any US Mint bags that have markings, I made this post back in 2007

I wonder when they started using a code like that, Woody? The $50 Cent bag in the lower left of my first photo is from 1980.

Chris

I have no idea when or why, but I think the ones that are stamped went directly to the Federal Reserve Banks.

Fill'um up with some morgans and wait 10-20 years.

I was told that original, empty Morgan bags are worth about $1000.

Chris

Chris

That's because they were made from hemp!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's why they're so rare. They all went up in smoke.

Chris

Just don't intend to do it 'cause that be AT.

Re: 2007 post.

“Next will be two or three numbers. These numbers are nothing more than mint employee numbers. When a new employee hires on at the mint, they are assigned an employee number. This employee number is used for in house quality control. If the bags are not sewn properly, or there is mishandling, the managers immediately know which employee was responsible.”

Almost – the numbers are the delivery number beginning from the start of the calendar year. Your bag was part of delivery #189.

Re: 2007 post.

“Next will be two or three numbers. These numbers are nothing more than mint employee numbers. When a new employee hires on at the mint, they are assigned an employee number. This employee number is used for in house quality control. If the bags are not sewn properly, or there is mishandling, the managers immediately know which employee was responsible.”

Almost – the numbers are the delivery number beginning from the start of the calendar year. Your bag was part of delivery #189.

You mean like a Julian calendar date?

Thanks, Kd!

Timely,

Those I find most interesting are the ones with a city or street address like your Encino bag.

Chris