• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1819 CBH confirm Overton number

8 posts in this topic

This is a recent pick up. I'm fairly sure of the Overton number but would appreciate the viewpoints of other forum members.

Carl

c32511464-1a_w2560.jpg

c32511464-1b_w2560.jpg

Thank you,

Please explain R3 overall. I'm not familiar with the practice of down grading a die state. This coin does show evidence of cleaning. Is that the reason for R4 to R3? Or have the rarity values changed?

Carl

OK, I'm relatively new to collecting CBH s. I thought that "R" values represented the rarity of a specific die marriage. Exactly how could the "R" value change without an increase in population of coins in a specific die marriage?

Simply looking to learn.

Carl

OK, I'm relatively new to collecting CBH s. I thought that "R" values represented the rarity of a specific die marriage. Exactly how could the "R" value change without an increase in population of coins in a specific die marriage?

Simply looking to learn.

Carl

The die marriage is an R3. Some collectors will collect certain die states of a marriage, marked by clashes, cracks, etc. There are less of these than the overall die marriage, so the particular die state is R4. The most popular die states are called out in Overton's book (such as 103a)

Simply looking to learn.

Carl

The die marriage is an R3. Some collectors will collect certain die states of a marriage, marked by clashes, cracks, etc. There are less of these than the overall die marriage, so the particular die state is R4. The most popular die states are called out in Overton's book (such as 103a)

Overton lists O-107 as a R4. Isn't O-107 the die marriage? I understand what you are saying about different die states within a die marriage. Are die states within a die marriage also ranked as to rarity?

A R4 ranking means scarce, 81-200 examples known. How would the number of coins in a particular die state within a die marriage change the overall "R" number? The population would still be 81-200 coins no matter how many coins were in a particular die state.

Thanks,

Carl

R4 is for the 107 prime state, but there is also many out there with the die cracks as a 107A, which is R3. This means that while there may only be between 80 and 200 primes, there are between 200 and 500 overall (could be 100 primes and 300 "A" models, for example).

Here is my 107

1819107O-1.jpg

1819107R-1.jpg