• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rim nicks

12 posts in this topic

Can someone explain how drastically rim nicks affect the grade of an uncirculated Morgan. I have a really well struck 1904 O Morgan that appears to be an MS 65 until you view the reverse rim which has 3 rim nicks (tiny and none gets into the beads).

I'm guessing I can deduct 1 full grade but I have no experience in these matters.

Opinions?

Just to give you an idea, the tiny rim hit and the little bit of softness on the motto are all that is keeping this coin from being a 66. That is a $10k rim hit.

Nice coin. With this said, I don't think the rim hit is keeping this coin from a 66; I think the micro-chatter on Mr. Franklin's cheek accomplishes this. I still like it very much as a 65+.

Just to give you an idea, the tiny rim hit and the little bit of softness on the motto are all that is keeping this coin from being a 66. That is a $10k rim hit.

Nice coin. With this said, I don't think the rim hit is keeping this coin from a 66; I think the micro-chatter on Mr. Franklin's cheek accomplishes this. I still like it very much as a 65+.

I talked to Mark Salzberg (president of NGC) at FUN this year, and he was doing free grade evaluations. When he was describing to me his thought process for how he graded the coin, this is what he said.

I talked to Mark Salzberg (president of NGC) at FUN this year, and he was doing free grade evaluations. When he was describing to me his thought process for how he graded the coin, this is what he said.

I also assume Mark Salzberg was looking at both sides of the coin, not just one as you posted here. ;)

Sorry for the suspect quality of the pictures but this is the coin in question. The coin is actually much more lusterous than the picture indicates with just the slightest chatter in the left field off the chin and noseon the obverse. The strike is quite good for an "O"

013-3.jpg

The reverse has an excellent strike with chatter only above "In God We Trust" and between the leaves in the left field. The little spot on the breast isn't a hit but rather looks to be a metal particle that was pressed into the breast while minting or a die issue because luster is clearly visible inside the hole.

The nics which were the basis to my question are @ the "A" in America, between the "A" and "R" in Dollar and the rim looks to be rolled over on the top above "T" "E" in States.

015-4.jpg

Thanks again for helping me understand.

I don't see any rim nicks, and I don't anticipate any grade deduction for this. I will say, however, that I wouldn't grade the coin MS65. I agree with Physics that it is a lower end MS64.