• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New sidebar

42 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hey guys,

I'm sure most have noticed that we've added a new sidebar. I started on the left but got some feedback that it was distracting, so I moved it to the right. I've also enabled the option to turn off the right hand sidebar if you'd like to turn it off. It's under My Preferences - Turn off the right column?

Any feedback? Do you guys like the access to the marketplace posts?

By the way, if you know your screen resolution, it would be helpful if you'd mention it when giving feedback.

Arch, I find it horribly distracting. I hate it, and was waiting for a way to turn it off. As soon as you told me, it is now turned off.

Sorry, but you wanted my honest opinion. Thanks for all the hard work you do!

1600 x 900 on my laptop.

2560 x 1440 on my desktop.

I hated it on the left, but totally don't mind it on the right. I'm going to leave it on for a week and see if I get used to it/find use in having the marketplace posts easily accessible. As someone who used to host a forum, I know the delicate balance of aesthetics and needing to run ads.

Laptop, 1440x900.

I agree with Alan. When you had it on the left for like an hour the other day, it was horrible. When it's on the right, it doesn't bother me. Having the option to turn it off is nice, as I have not yet found a use for it -- BUT, I may find that the marketplace announcements are easier to glance at that way. I just have to reprogram my brain first.

Thanks for asking for feedback.

I turned it off as soon as I found out how, my resolution is 1024x768. The reason I didn't like it was because it made the actual forum seem way to small.

• Administrator
I turned it off as soon as I found out how, my resolution is 1024x768. The reason I didn't like it was because it made the actual forum seem way to small.

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all that it is awkward at 1024 x 768. I think I would turn it off too with that resolution. I am a little surprised at some of the higher resolutions minding it though.

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all that it is awkward at 1024 x 768. I think I would turn it off too with that resolution. I am a little surprised at some of the higher resolutions minding it though.

At 1680x1050, I found that some of the photos posted were about one-third larger than my screen which necessitated scrolling back and forth. It was bad enough before the sidebar when someone would post photos so large that I had to scroll all the way to Palm Beach.

Chris

Arch, I find it horribly distracting. I hate it, and was waiting for a way to turn it off. As soon as you told me, it is now turned off.

I can't believe arch didn't get your approval first!!

Seeing how Jason hates it so much, I absolutely LOVE it!

Nick

I can't believe arch didn't get your approval first!!

Seeing how Jason hates it so much, I absolutely LOVE it!

Nick

Agree, how was King Jason not informed prior to this change?

As he goes, we go.

• Administrator

At 1680x1050, I found that some of the photos posted were about one-third larger than my screen which necessitated scrolling back and forth. It was bad enough before the sidebar when someone would post photos so large that I had to scroll all the way to Palm Beach.

Chris

hm, although the only thing that should change in that case it's that the side bar is pushed off screen. If the image is wide enough to cause horizontal scrolling of the post itself then it will do that with or without the side bar.

Just as an fyi, you can also set your preferences to put the poster info above the post and that will regain some width.

I'm highly appreciative of this new option, especially because I like to keep an eye on what's being offered or sought. At 1920 x 1200 it shows up perfectly, not at all distracting when at the right side. Thank you Arch!

Hey guys,

I'm sure most have noticed that we've added a new sidebar. I started on the left but got some feedback that it was distracting, so I moved it to the right. I've also enabled the option to turn off the right hand sidebar if you'd like to turn it off. It's under My Preferences - Turn off the right column?

By the way, if you know your screen resolution, it would be helpful if you'd mention it when giving feedback.

I turned it off right away as well. It serves no purpose for me personally, however, I can definitely envision some users who will like it.

I REALLY appreciate the ability to turn it off!!!!

Incidentally, I am sure this not a delusion: the boards move a lot faster now, I presume due to technical enhancements. THANKS for that!

Incidentally, I am sure this not a delusion: the boards move a lot faster now, I presume due to technical enhancements. THANKS for that!

James,

They aren't moving faster. You're just getting older.

Chris

Yes, I find it distracting but thanks for offering the shut-off. Regardless of how larger or small my screen is I just don't like things on the side. Never have.

jom

Well I guess I'll be a dissenter - I like it! (on the right side only)

I'd like to have the option to turn off the comics marketplace, but that is a minor complaint.

Hey guys,

I've also enabled the option to turn off the right hand sidebar if you'd like to turn it off. It's under My Preferences - Turn off the right column?

I don't like those side bars on forums. Thank you for allowing the option to turn it off. :)

I like it myself, I mostly surf this site on my android phone I have no idea what the resolution equivalent is.

I like it much better on the right. For some reason when it was on the left the site would load very slow for me.

First of all, I didn't even know that the resolution on my lap top was1366 X 768, is that normal?

Second of all, I'm still in training for "old time grouch" syndrome and I don't like change anymore, so I was thrilled out of my depends to get to select an option and I opted out for full screen, hiding all the clutter.

I am at comfort once again, thank you Arch.

Resolution 1280 x 1024. Marketplace does not interest me. Opted out.

Your tag line is very appropriate.If more people actually read and understood Marcus Aurelius the world would be a much better place to live in. Have you read Marcus Aurelius "Meditations"? If not, you may find it very interesting.

Thanks for all you do to keep our forums moving along smoothly.

Carl