• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ptolemy XII Real or Fake, please reply.

3 posts in this topic

Hi All, I'm quite new to collectable coins, got this old looking coin from a good friend, he said he thinks it's real but I'd like to verify it. I'm going to bring it to my local coin shop Saturday but wondered if anyone on here would give their opinion of whether or not it's real first.

thanks.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3278185485365.137984.1589349874&type=1&l=403af5af52

Hi Carl,

Well, sounds like you are doing the smart thing by taking it into a shop. I am not really an ancients collector myself and telling if something like that is a fake from a photo is difficult at best, but to me the coin looks too perfect and nicely centered (ie made to be tempting to the uneducated).... that being said I have been suprised before....

Good luck with it, and welcome to the board!

The problem with taking it to a shop is that unless they specialize in ancients they most likely aren't going to have a clue about it. It's worse than getting an opinion about mint errors. Your average US dealer is good with the commonly handled US coin series but beyond that watch out.