• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Couple of Morgans for your consideration

5 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of shipping these off to NGC to get them slabbed. I'm guessing MS 64's but I'd love a second opinion.

This one is a common 1888 P

010-3.jpg011-1.jpg

This is just an 1879 S

012-2.jpg

014-4.jpg

Couple of interesting $1 GOLD pieces you have there :roflmao:

It's okay ...

If you have a photo processing program on your computer, check out the white balance features on it. The problem is you took the pictures with an incandescent light source, which can make the photos come out yellow.

Here is what I mean by a corrected white balance picture.

Temp1.jpg

As for the coins, the 1888 has a small shot at MS-65. The 1879-S could be limited to an MS-63 because of the marks on Ms. Liberty’s cheek. BTW it is an 1879-S with the "third reverse" which makes a somewhat better piece than "second reverse" variety.

Thanks Bill. I'll check out the white balance issue. I took these pictures with a newer digital camera (Kodak M380) and with 2 light sources illuminating the coins. Still experimenting and trying to learn and get better.

Didn't even think to look at the reverse on the 1879 S for that reverse type. Again, thank you.