• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting Seated Dollar...

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Bowers has this lot available in their pre-FUN 2003 sale. Aside from a passing numismatic interest in this specimen, I have no interest in owning it. As such, I feel ok to draw attention to it.

This coin is interesting to me in two ways, one for what it has (and you can see it), and one for what it apparently doesn't have (or, the cataloger doesn't mention it).

Please observe the obverse of this coin and tell me if you see anything outstanding of numismatic significance.

EVP

589a8aade1c56_86735-1842MS62BowersFUN2003obv.JPG.aa0531292c1e0c004072fd34d9b7198e.JPG

Can you be more specific wrt location? The right of liberty is a big area, and there are many abrasions there.

Also, I would not find generic die clashes to be of numismatic interest...

BTW, if you want to cheat, go to the CU site. The discussion there has progressed along nicely. smile.gif

EVP

The area next to Miss Liberty's right hand appears to be clashed with something. The coin appears interesting because there is nothing in the reverse design that would cause a clash like that (which I can ascertain at least), so it had to have clashed with something else.

Keith,

That area of disturbance is a bulge caused by a failing die. That diagnostic is of great numismatic interest to me. It is also one that can conclusively identify an MS coin from a PF specimen.

EVP

The rim looks thinner than usual and the planchet looks like it is defective above and to the left of the shield. Her left leg looks like a strike through on her calf.

COINHOLEIO

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

Pat,

The rim looks fine to me, and I can see what you mean by the strike-through. That defective area above and to the left of the shield is the interesting part, as I mentioned above.

This date is very interesting in a number of other ways. There is another obv die problem that does not appear to exist on this specimen: a die cud at the rim by the final star.

Also, this date frequently comes with die striae; unfortunately, this does not impart a cameo aspect because the devices are usually more satiny than frosty.

Finally, I believe the finest slabbed specimen is an MS64. This is made all the more unusual because this date is considered a type coin for the No Motto type. And, no gems? That's odd for a type coin!

EVP