• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Still Call it an Upgrade???? posted by Jackson

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

the grade's the same, the registry points are the same, BUT....

Well it seems as if there are more than 2 potential upgrades left for my set.

Last I journaled about my Walking Liberty Half short set I was lamenting that there were only 2 possible coins left in the set that I could afford to upgrade- NUMERICALLY upgrade that is. It seems that I have found another way to spend silly amounts of money for a coin that I already own one of--and not even in a higher grade either. Perusing the perplexing hoard of MS67's at the recent Stacks/Bowers auctions I saw several examples of both the 1943-D and the 1945. It would seem logical to most that since mI had the money set aside for one upgrade that I would try and snag one of these 2 dates and get nearer completion of my "max budget" set.

Ridiculous as it seems, instead I saw a 1942 ( possibly the most common date MS Walker) that caught me. I was snared right from the get-go. The coin has those crusty flecks of rainbow color around the rim with limes and violets mixed with deep golds and the veridian blues-- a perfect sister coin to about 3 others in my set.

I set a rock solid bid ( after all there were SEVEN !! other 1942 MS67's in this auction !!). Turns out that the coin I wanted sold for the highest and I barely eked out the win by bidding an "off amount" of 11 dollars more than the normal $50/$100 bid increments. It would appear that I am not alone in my tastes for this eye-appeal and look in a Walker.

So, do I view this as an "upgrade" considering it is graded the same as my existing coin and not worth a point more in my registry set, or is it just me being a bit OCD or exhibiting a hoarding mentality? Either way, it looks like I won't be complete with my Walker set ever if I am always looking for a slightly nicer looking coin to replace existing coins with. This somehow makes me happy.

Here's the auction picture of my newest treasure...I'll try and post a picture of the coin it is replacing on the chat boards.

10938.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

I for one do consider it an upgrade. Anytime you can replace a drab, ordinary looking coin "even in superb gem" with one that immediately grabs your attention when you see it, I consider an upgrade. IMHO I would expect the upgade to reflect the collectors changing standards over time as they evolve in their chosen speciality.

Doug

Is an attractive coin an "upgrade" even though it does not net you any registry points and isn't a higher technical grade on the label?

You bet it is!

If you liked the look of the coin and other bidders liked the look of the coin, and it sold for more than any other coin of the same date and mint and technical grade... YES, it's an upgrade.

And if you liked the coin enough to chase it, and other bidders liked the coin enough for it to sell for more than the other half dozen of the same date/mint and grade, then this coin will sell for more when it comes time for you (or your heirs) to liquidate your collection (assuming they don't haul your collection to the local pawn shop, of course).

Congrats.

Jackson

This coin is a true eye popper, and absolutely gorgeous. I say regardless of grade, side by side, if one coin takes your breath away over the other, it is an upgrade. If you pay an auction premium over like grades of the same coin, its an upgrade. You will always have a coin that is highly desirable and thus worth more than a straight up MS-67. This coin looks so good to me that it could qualify for the center-piece of any collection. I love it, congratulations!

Gary :banana:

I say regardless of grade, side by side, if one coin takes your breath away over the other, it is an upgrade.

My feelings exactly. It's an upgrade.

I agree it is an upgrade, proves not all MS67's are the same, now you can say you have a high end MS67 PQ coin! :banana:

+1 (thumbs u

thanks e1, I think it's a nice upgrade also. Now the hard part is forcing myself to sell the previous slot holder.....if anyone knows someone looking for a frosty 1942 MS67..just shoot me a PM. Sam, coindude, did the pictures of my old coin and they look fantastic..I might need to send him some more business soon.

123993.jpg.d76ff0ac9175ab827d71d8b5695abe8c.jpg

123994.jpg.c455a7ce0c334b85e4d1fc8d24acc802.jpg