• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879 50c Seated Liberty proof worth NCS conservation?

10 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

Your opinions please.

1) Does this coin appear a candidate for conservation?

2) Do you think the black discoloration can be completely removed, or only minimized?, without damage to the underlying mirrored surfaces?

3) What has your experience been regarding successful or unsuccessful silver proof conservation with similar looking problems?

4) Does NGC numeric grading, as opposed to details grading, demand the discoloration be entirely removed and no surface issues underneath?

Until I take my own pictures to post, please refer to eBay auction # 280839642130 for pictures.

Many thanks to you,

RB

eBay link, 1879 proof half dollar

First, I wouldn't have bought that coin from that seller. But, if I did I would probably be more inclined to send it back than to send it to NCS.

I can't see the coin in hand but that seller is known for taking overly optimistic photos of raw coins, many of which have problems that will keep them raw. This coin looks like it was already dipped and has started to re-tone. I doubt the black line on the reverse will come off without damaging the coin further and may be why the coin was dipped the first time. It was concealed fairly well in the shadows, convieniently.

The price paid was PR64 money for a problem-free piece, certified by a top TPG.

I wouldn't have gone over $1000 with any seller and this seller (GSC) is known for shlling and peddling problem coins to unsuspecting buyers.

You could throw good money after bad and hope for the best but the odds are not with you on this one.

I wouldn't have gone over $1000 with any seller and this seller (GSC) is known for shlling and peddling problem coins to unsuspecting buyers.

You could throw good money after bad and hope for the best but the odds are not with you on this one.

i agree and welcome to the forums. dont be afraid to ask questions here :) its all good

I agree 100%. GSC plays games with their pictures and their auctions are always run-up by either fools or schills.

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

Sent the coin in question back for refund. Under grading (5x) magnification, lots of problems popped out. Gross over-grading using generally accepted industry grading standards by ANA. Instead of Pf 65 or higher, actually might grade out impaired Pf 58; slight wear on high points. Some flyspecks both obv. & rev. Lots of hairlines. The black discolorations appear a relatively minor distraction and probably could be successfully removed. Too bad it's been mishandled. Trying to get the seller to step-up and reimburse my return costs for his auction text misrepresentations. Wish me luck!

Sincerely,

RB

I agree with the others, GCS is well-known for juiced photos. I'm not sure about shilling but that's definately possible given how their prices consistently run up.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, get yourself a slabbed coin. You'll have piece of mind in the end.

I agree 100%. GSC plays games with their pictures and their auctions are always run-up by either fools or schills.

I will go with "fools" :cry:

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

Sent the coin in question back for refund. Under grading (5x) magnification, lots of problems popped out. Gross over-grading using generally accepted industry grading standards by ANA. Instead of Pf 65 or higher, actually might grade out impaired Pf 58; slight wear on high points. Some flyspecks both obv. & rev. Lots of hairlines. The black discolorations appear a relatively minor distraction and probably could be successfully removed. Too bad it's been mishandled. Trying to get the seller to step-up and reimburse my return costs for his auction text misrepresentations. Wish me luck!

Sincerely,

RB

You won’t get them to refund your shipping costs. They basically misrepresent everything because of their inflated grades and juiced up photos. Just chalk this up to a learning experience; you were smart enough once you got the coin in hand to realize it was a problem.

Unfortunately most people who purchase from GSC don’t have a clue.