• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Fascinating Historical Confluence

5 posts in this topic

And it happened under 3 Flags.

Folks,

I read a fascinating article published by Numismatic News recently about the 1861 New Orleans Half Dollar. I was already aware of its backstory and have even owned several examples but this article:

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/hard-to-top-story-of-1861-o-half-dollar

pulls it all together in a very compelling way. For those of you not aware of the story, the 1861-O Seated Liberty Half Dollar was minted by 3 separate government entities, the United States, The State of Louisiana (after secession), and the Confederate Staes of America. Research has even been able to determine which government minted a particular half dollar by the obverse and reverse die diagnostics. The 1861-O is also one of the promienent coins that sank with the SS Republic, in 1865. In an ironic twist of fate, the Republic was on the way back to New Orleans to replenish coins supplies after the war.

Read the article and you'll want an example for your collection.

Later,

Malcolm

10926.GIF

See more journals by BeawChan

Malcolm

I love that story and the history involved. Now here's an interesting question, how did an 1861-O half dollar minted under confederate control get from New Orleans to New York and on board the SS Republic? I have on occasion seen confederate control SS Republic labeled coins for sale on E-Bay. In fact the boxed set of all three governing authorities is quite costly. One can only speculate. I probably think the coins were stored at the mint and when New Orleans fell to the Union were confiscated and shipped North. I own a 1860-O half from the SS republic that remains one of the favorite coins in my collection. I got a nice display box with it and a cool DVD about the recovery operation. Something that is a little confusing is the labeling of these coins. Mine is labeled shipwreck effect "C" UNC. Other labels like mine have as a backdrop the flag of the controlling authority. Attached is a picture of my beauty. I love the story and I love the pedigree. This hobby is just plain neat!

Gary

1860-O_obv.jpg

These coins likely became encrusted in ocean bottom sand and silt giving the surfaces of the coins a corroded look of obvious seawater damage. Odyssey Marine Exploration discovered and recovered the coins in the hold of the sunken SS Republic after more than 100 years on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. Odyssey apparently contracted with NCS to conserve the coins and encapsulate them for sale to individual collectors like me. As you can see the coin in my picture has surface damage that cannot be repaired or removed making it ineligible for normal grading. I think this is the thinking of NGC with shipwreck effect coins ($$). Encapsulate them in their own special category after their pedigree can be verified. Here is a link to NGC that talks about shipwreck effect coins:

http://www.ngccoin.com/shipwreck-coin-certification/index.asp

Gary

Gary,

I'm thinking those New Orleans coins were on the way to England on blockade runners and were captured by the U.S. Navy. Hence, they make there way to the Bank of New York, and finally on the way, almost, back to New Orleans.

Yankeejose,

These shipwreck effect coins are fascinating and relatively inexpensive considering their grade. Now, of course, the shipwreck effect makes then ungradeable in a formal sense but in reality, they are uncirculated.

Have a good night all,

I am tired.

Malcolm