• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIRDS OF THE WORLD UPDATE posted by ROOSTER COGBURN

15 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Well I spent the past two days working on the pics on my Custom Set "Birds of the World".

I think I did much better with the coin pic and I also had the idea to add a pic of the real thing, just so people could see the living bird.

Still want to work on the set-up and description alittle more.

But thank you to everyone who took time to check it out.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=3519

Thanks,

Brett

See more journals by ROOSTER COGBURN

I like the way your set is coming along.cool idea to add a real bird picture with each coin.you have been taking alot of photos the last few days I bet lol.looking good keep at it!!!!

Very nice set. The inclusion of real birds in the set makes it so much more elegant. You can see the actual inspiration of the engravers and to my eye it makes for a much more complete story.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Doug

Very cool set, I was looking to put a wildlife custom set together awhile back and settled on the American Bison. I'm actually doing some bird nest survey work today and have identified nuthatch, mountain blue bird, wren, ash throated fly catcher and tree swallow nests, today!

Took a break for lunch and checked the journals (via iPhone) and I saw your bird set, cool!

Best of luck with your set!

Merlin8*

Holy , that is awesome that you identified all those in one day!

I use to shoot photography, and I would try to travel around and shoot birds with my studio camera. Got some so-so pictures over the years.

Thanks for looking at my set. I will be adding 20 more to it in about two weeks.

Brett

looks like a fun set that could become hundreds of coins in it.

I started a similar set but with fish several years ago however my love of Walkers and Barbers left me too broke to add many coins to it. I also tried to find nice pictures of the real fish-- the small set was called, "Deep Blue Seas"

A little advice, hint that may be very helpful. Buy yourself the Krause world coin catalogs--look up by country how many have birds ( especially tropical nations). Also, I'm sure you've figured out that using keyword, "bird" on ebay will give you a giant yield of coins of your theme and save time.

I also know some other coin sellers and mint websites that sell coins broken into categories like, "transportation coins, "wildlife coins"," sailing ship coins" etc etc...enjoy,

I think I foresee a " Most Creative Custom Set" award and plaque in your future....

Yes, I agree, most impressive! Now I'm going to have to get my act together and fix my bird set up! But alas I to am distracted by other sets I am working at this time (Morgans, type coins, Ikes). I love the idea of the real birds alongside the coins.

Gary

Brett, your set looks fantastic with the bird photos beside the coins!

A few facts for your NZ coins.

The Fantail, in Maori mythology, is considered to be a messenger, a bringer of death or news of death. To this day it is considered a very bad omen if one flys into your house. They are very cheeky friendly birds and will follow people because we blunder about and disturb thier favorite food, insects.

It is known as the Piwakawaka or Tiwakawaka in Maori.

The Yellow Eyed Penguin is also known as the Hoiho. It is a favorite of tourists who flock to a town called Oamaru in North Otago, to watch the comical little birds cross a beach to thier burrows. There is a stadium built to fit as many people in as possible.

There are 4000 of these birds left and they are protected.

The Chatham Island Black Robin has an amazing story of survival and is a source of pride for NZ conservationists. In 1980 there were 5 birds left and only 1 breeding pair, Old Blue (the female) and Old Yellow (the male). Now there are 200 plus birds in a protected enviroment and the species has been saved.

The Kakapo, which is Maori for "night parrot", is another critically endangered species. There are only 126 birds left and they are all very closely monitored and the entire breeding program is controlled. These large flightless parrots are long lived but extremely slow breeders. All eggs are taken from the nests to be incubated in a safe place. Once the chicks hatch they never see a person and are feed using hand puppets that mimic the adult birds.

This looks really great, Brett! I like the way you show the actual bird associated with each coin. Great idea! On top of that, you did a great job of finding bird pictures that matched the pose of the bird on the coin.

I tried something similar with my S/Sgt Lowell Chase WW2 set. Would you please take a look at it and tell me what you think? I had to use a scanner rather than a camera, so the images are so-so. If you view the collection via the gallery view, you'll see text that explains the picture I associated with each coin.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=12693

Tim

Tim your set is fantastic!! It is a great tribute to your father.

Also welcome to the boards :hi:

Tim,

I love it dude!

I think this is something that just might catch on fast.

I'm sure with almost all collectors, the coins they collect have a tie to something else in their lives. To blend the two can become almost like art, I think. Good hearing from you.

Take care,

Brett