• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death and Destruction

6 posts in this topic

They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning.

I made the decision that I would complete my raw Lincoln set with the ever illusive 1909-S V.D.B.

Obviously, I don't have $1000.00 + laying around waiting to do something with, so I looked over my collection and I decided the set that I was the least emotionally attached to was my 1960's SMS set.

Forging ahead, I posted and waited and posted and waited some more. I was lucky to find a coin that was of acceptable quality for around $750.00. I don't have it in hand yet, but I am hoping that it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling that will counteract the sense of loss that taking apart my top ten SMS set has given me. It's almost depressing.

The '09-S VDB will be verified (can't even trust slabbed coins) and will go with me to visit my father. He will have the honor of placing the only missing coin in the set that he gave me so many years ago.

The potential for this plan to go terribly wrong is a very real thing. I just hope it is worth the effort and damage that I have inflicted.

For good or ill, I have this child-like need to please him in this endeavor.

Any of you psychiatrists out there don't need to tell me of the implications of all of this. I get it, but it is still something I need to do.

Wish me luck

See more journals by Captain Clipon

Well. Captain Clipon, when you see the look in your dad's eyes----after you place the coin in his hands---you will then understand. That kind of thing happened a couple of times in my life with my Dad. I can only say that the rewards for being NICE are well worth the effort. You'll "NEVER" regret your actions. Bob [supertooth]

Very nice, I hope he appreciates the gesture and the honor your bestowing by allowing him to "complete" your set. Recently parted with a slabbed 09-S VDB so I could obtain my dream, a Gettysburg Commemorative Half. I was bittersweet.

Later,

Malcolm