• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC "GENERATIONS"

7 posts in this topic

Do they affect pricing

As we all know PCGS coins generally command a premium over identically graded NGC coins.It is stated to buy the coin not the holder,but that is not always the way it is sadly!My question is do any of the different "GENERATIONS" of NGC slabs make a coin sell for a premium.I have heard stories of NGC being lax on grading standards in the past.Would this cause a decrease in value in certain "GENERATIONS" of slabs.What do you think?

See more journals by jayman1970

I have seen some trends that show some of the rarer cases like ones with W for white or T for toned and some certain Star W graded coins which that didn't last very long together makes it hold a higher premium. If both the buyer and the seller think it adds value then you will see it sell for a higher amount. I have seen certain years of proof washington quarters that a seller will have a PF68UC and a PF68 W UC and that seller will place a higher price on the one with the W because if you send the W coin back to NGC to be reholdered it will come back without the W.

Maybe also if in some years NGC was a little more tight on certain aspects of their grading like PCGS was with their old green holders, it would hold a premium, and you would have to really look at this subject from many different coins of different years to see if it is always this way or just a coincidence.

The truth is grading standards have had to change over the years due to all the different graders that came and went and as always grading is subjective and coins do tone over the years sometimes even in TPG holders. Those coins may have had a 1 micron thick layer of toning and it grew over the years or became more apparent.

There are people who collect holders especially the sample holders that ngc makes and so you can usually date when your coin was graded to at least a period of time and eventually someone will take the time and effort to compile data from the past 25 years and have a definite answer to your question but for now we can just argue and talk about conjecture.

I do know that not all coins of the same grade are equal, I have some coins that are on a list to be replaced because of low level eye appeal or an obvious problem even though they are technically perfect being PF70UC. I own a couple low end top pop PF69UC's that if I found a nicer/cleaner sample I would replace them in a heartbeat, so back to basics buy the coin not the holder.

Do they affect pricing

As we all know PCGS coins generally command a premium over identically graded NGC coins.It is stated to buy the coin not the holder,but that is not always the way it is sadly!My question is do any of the different "GENERATIONS" of NGC slabs make a coin sell for a premium.I have heard stories of NGC being lax on grading standards in the past.Would this cause a decrease in value in certain "GENERATIONS" of slabs.What do you think?

While there are many series where PCGS coins sell for higher prices, there are also series where NGC specimens sell for higher prices (compare PCGS vs. NGC FBL Franklin Half Dollars for instance; certain copper series, etc.).Both services have gone through periods when they were lax. Both PCGS and NGC were tight during their early years of operation. For this reason, PCGS old green holders/ rattlers and old NGC no line "fatties" (i.e. those without a line separating the label and the coin gasket) carry a premium over their counterparts. There is one exception to the NGC trend: NGC tended to award higher grades for richly toned coins even if the luster wasn't quite all there provided that other aspects of the coin were okay. Stay away from thick toning, and the remainder usually carry a premium or are at least highly sought after. Both services started to become more lax shortly thereafter; however, after the advent of CAC, BOTH services have tightened considerably.

The infamous NGC Black Holder is worth a lot but are VERY difficult to locate.

Here is a very well written history of NGC holders by a forum member and well worth reading.....

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2248404&page=1#Post2248404

Do they affect pricing

While there are many series where PCGS coins sell for higher prices, there are also series where NGC specimens sell for higher prices (compare PCGS vs. NGC FBL Franklin Half Dollars for instance; certain copper series, etc.).Both services have gone through periods when they were lax. Both PCGS and NGC were tight during their early years of operation. For this reason, PCGS old green holders/ rattlers and old NGC no line "fatties" (i.e. those without a line separating the label and the coin gasket) carry a premium over their counterparts. There is one exception to the NGC trend: NGC tended to award higher grades for richly toned coins even if the luster wasn't quite all there provided that other aspects of the coin were okay. Stay away from thick toning, and the remainder usually carry a premium or are at least highly sought after. Both services started to become more lax shortly thereafter; however, after the advent of CAC, BOTH services have tightened considerably.
+1 For sure ----- I agree with Coinman_23885 on this one

My understanding of changes to the holders and the label on the reverse were implemented to deter counterfeits now coming out of China, and elswhere. However the emblem, printing, and halograms are soon replicated, initiating another label change.

Label upgrades are available for those who want to pay for it.

I agree with Coinman as well.

One thing I will add is that many people will pay a premium for nice RD copper in old holders. As copper is very reactive it can brown, even in the holder. Many coins labeled RD have become RB over time. If you find a nice RD coin in an old holder that hasn't begun to turn it is likely stable and will remain RD.

Here is an MS66 RD IHC I have in an old NGC no-line fatty holder. It was probably slabbed in the early 90s and has remained brilliant red for 20 years. That's longer than the 10 year "warranty" I believe NGC now gives for RD coins in newer holders.

01C0051_1.jpg